Chapter Twenty-Four

Abigail brushed Sara's hair. 'Twas her wedding today, and she and Alissa were to be the bridesmaids. Matt and Nate were Ben's best men. Alissa took hold of the bride's hair, and she continued to display different fashions. Sara liked a particular one with two braids entwining themselves into a long braid. Abigail wove lilies into Sara's golden locks, and Alissa helped her into the white silk gown. Abigail and Alissa were wearing their pale rose gowns, and their hair was delicately pressed into curls. Alissa handed Sara her bouquet while Abigail put the veil onto the bride's head. Sara's hands were shaking when her father came in. He took one look at his daughter and tried to still the tears.

They met Matt and Nate at the doors. Matt held out his arm to Abi, and she tucked her hand into the crook of his arm, pinching the inside. He smiled. Nate and Alissa linked arms as the wedding parade began.

Everyone stood as Sara came down the aisle, and Ben stared at her. The ceremony began, and Abigail was forced away from Matt.

Sara and Ben's kiss concluded the wedding, and Mrs. Panetta and Mrs. Skywalker were wiping tears from their eyes. Abigail was trying hard not to cry. Alissa had tears falling down her face, and Abigail could see that she was trying not to bawl. Their room would seem empty without Sara's usual chatter and liveliness.
Matt walked over to her, holding out his hand. She took it and followed Sara and Ben outside. A group of well-wishers stood outside and bombarded the newlyweds with questions and comments.

"Congrats!"
"I can't wait for little Skywalker babies!"
"It was so beautiful!"
"The bride is lovely, don't you agree Mr. Skywalker?"
Matt tugged Abigail's elbow, and she followed him away from the paparazzi. He led her over near the dining trays and pulled out a gold bracelet. He put it on her wrist and kissed her hand. She marvelled at the beauty of the precious artifact and how Matt had trusted her enough to give it to her. She heard a nearby gunshot and a high-pitched scream. Abigail felt Matt pull her close, covering her with his body. Abi pushed him off and looked around the corner. There, over by the doors, stood a figure in a black cloak holding a gun. He pointed the weapon at a young woman in a violet dress holding a red bouquet of flowers. He fired, and blood spurted from a bullet wound in her chest. She fell over, causing blood to splash all over the floor and a little bit onto a passerby's cloak.

"Well, I never!"
Abigail rushed to check on the person who had been splashed. "Are you all right, sir?"
The man turned, and Abigail saw cold blue eyes peer at her from underneath the camouflaged cloak he wore. Matt moved in behind her, and he gasped.

"Samuel! Whatever are you doing here? I thought you were a Ranger to the King?"
The man, Samuel, replied coolly, "I am, Matthew. 'Tis an order of business. If you do not mind, cousin, I would rather you move. I shall have to examine the body and have others identify it."
Matt snorted. Abigail noticed that this man and Matthew did not care too much for each other. "Boys, I'd really rather you do not fight here. Even if you are a Ranger, sir, you may not speak to Matthew like that."
The man fixed his eyes on hers. She felt rather than saw that he was trying not to punish her. She stared him down, and he looked away quickly.
The Ranger's were King Charles's most favoured men. They had special horses, top-of-the-line weapons and were very good at survival. She remembered hearing her uncle and godfather discuss men to recruit. There was a man named Samuel Wesley on that list. Maybe this was the same man.

"Is your name Samuel Wesley?"
He started, eyes turning wide and lips parting. "Shh. Not a word. I'm just Wesley to these people. Most think it's my first name. How would you know?"
"I lived at King Charles's palace. I was a servant there for Lady Everett. She was so sweet."
"What's your name?"
"Samantha."
Matt wrapped his arm around her waist and guided her away from Mr. Wesley. "Abi, he's dangerous. Rangers' have skills beyond any other person here. Samuel has the worst. He has personally received King Charles's favour for killing. Do not trust my cousin."