Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Kay was hardly aware of anything for quite a while after that. She numbly let herself be led back inside the haven, where Espio and Li Yuen opened up the common area again to assure everyone it was safe to come out, and then be handed off to Li Moon once more and taken back to the women's bunker. Li Moon fussed over the small gash on Kay's cheek for a while; at some point she thought the young fox may even be saying something to her about battling the few Yagyu ninjas that threatened the refugees. But it was even longer before Kay came back to her senses enough to realize any of this, and by then she had bigger things to focus on.

At some point a young girl came scurrying into the women's bunker and went straight to Li Moon, muttering something in her language that instantly got the fox moving into action. The girl hovered nearby as Li Moon turned to Kay.

"The prince has requested your immediate presence, shiriai," she said, taking Kay's arm gently and pulling her up from the mat she'd sat on for she didn't even know how long. "We'd best be on our way."

Kay nodded, blinking slightly as Li Moon's words sank in. Once registered, her heart began to race again. He probably saw how pathetic I was out there and is going to tell me to go back to Bygone Island, she thought as the girl led them from the women's bunker back out into the darkened pathways. I can't say that I blame him. I wish I'd kept my mouth shut about my combat training.

Eventually the trio intercepted Li Yuen on the pathway, and he nodded to Li Moon and Kay as they approached. "This way, please."

"What, me, too?" Li Moon sounded surprised.

"Hai," Yuen nodded. Then, to the girl: "Ōji wa tasukete kurete arigatō, imōto."

The girl bowed, and then scurried away again.

Yuen led the older girls on one of the side paths that Kay had noted earlier were not as walked on, indicating only a select few people were allowed wherever they led. She turned out to be spot-on with that assumption, because the path led into what looked like strategic planning room of some kind – or at the very least, a place for the guards to take time off together.

Espio stood in the center of the room behind the small table, nodding to Li Moon politely as the girls entered behind his primary guard. Moon bowed low to the ground, and to Kay's surprise, he did not try to stop her. His eyes were on Kay. After a moment of tense silence she lowered her eyes and bowed as well. Clearly he was upset about something; she could see it in his eyes, even if his face was impassive and expressionless.

"Shiriai," he said, "are you all right?"

Again surprised, Kay looked back up at him. "Your highness?"

"Your wound."

"Oh." Kay was certain that would be the last thing on his mind, considering the casualties everyone else had suffered out there on the hillside. "Yes, it's fine."

"I'm glad to hear it." Espio folded his hands behind his back and took a deep breath before sighing heavily. "There have been some developments that I would like to inquire about if you don't mind."

Swallowing hard, she nodded. "Of course."

For the briefest moment Espio looked to Li Moon, seeming to debate whether she should hear what he had to say. It took only a moment for him to find his resolve. "The Yagyu did not attack this haven because of the refugees, or even because of me," he said at last. "They attacked because they knew you were here, shiriai."

All the breath rushed out of her at once. Kay stared at him, incredulous. "What?" Her mind raced. Why on Mobius was anyone after her here? No one knew her here; not in this universe. No one knew who she had once been, so why would anyone care about her enough to attack an entire haven full of refugees?

Kay realized everyone was watching her. She shook her head slowly. "I...I don't understand why," she said. "I'm no one important. I only just got here. Why would they be looking for me?"

Espio shook his head as well. "I don't know, but they were very clear about their intentions. They kept demanding for you to be handed over to them."

Kay was beyond confused. "Why would they even care who I am? I'm not native to Chun-Nan at all."

"Perhaps that is exactly why they care," Li Moon spoke up quietly, turning their attention to her. "Our enemies are foreigners; perhaps after the Yagyu attacked her the first time and realized she was not a native, they came back for her to get her on their side rather than yours, my liege."

Espio considered this. "I suppose it is possible they are trying to increase their numbers. They are not many, but they are strong. They may wish to become even stronger."

"But what could I offer them? I could hardly fight off even one of your enemies today," Kay spoke these last words in a quieter voice, lowering her eyes. She had looked pathetic out there in the midst of all the trained warriors, and she knew it.

Li Yuen spoke up next. "You came to my aid, and helped distract the Yagyu long enough for me to dispatch them. Even if that's all you did, it was most helpful, I assure you."

Kay was unconvinced. She didn't reply, and a tense silence fell over them all.

"Forgive me, your highness," Li Moon said quietly, "but you're certain they were not also here for you? Not at all?"

"Not at all, yūjin," Espio replied. He frowned. "I am just as surprised as you are." The prince sighed, paced to the opposite end of the small room and back, and finally stopped where he'd started. His voice took an authoritative tone. "I was not planning to include you in the party I am taking back to the capital, shiriai. Under the circumstances, however, I believe my mind has been changed for me. We can't risk putting the people in danger again if the enemy is truly after you at present."

Espio turned to face Kay and the others. "Tomorrow morning at sunrise I will be leading a small team of men back to the capital. There is only so much I can do on my own while avoiding capture; if we are ever to learn more about them I need assistance. And since you've now become a person of interest on both sides, shiriai..." He met Kay's eyes. "You will be coming with us. So I suggest you rest well."