Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Kay and Li Moon bowed, then turned and left at the prince's dismissal. Kay's mind was in overdrive. Just hours ago she would have loved to travel with Espio to the heart of his kingdom. Now she wasn't so sure. The situation had changed so quickly she was still trying to digest the information that the Yagyu – and by extension the Dimension Keepers – had been after her. What did that mean, anyway? Her mind reeled with the possibilities.

"Well," Li Moon said after a long silence, "I suggest you get to sleep right away, shiriai. If the prince intends to leave at sunrise he means it. I'll see if I can get someone to wake you in time enough to eat before you go." The two of them returned to the small space that held so many women. Kay found it fascinating how many of them were already asleep despite the traumatic events of earlier today. "Do not be afraid of them, shiriai. The prince and his men will protect you if you are attacked in the open."

"They may try," Kay replied, "but you didn't see how many there were out there on the hillside. We were so outnumbered that..." She trailed off, not wishing to finish the thought aloud, or alarm her new friend. She shook her head. "If we're attacked out in the open I'm not sure there will be much we can do. I should just go back to Bygone Island. I should have stayed there until this war was over. Everyone warned me to wait it out...and now what happened here today was my fault."

Li Moon put a hand on her arm. "Do not despair. I'm sure everything will turn out all right."

Kay wasn't as sure as the fox seemed to be, but she knew her friend was probably trying to stay optimistic in order to cope with everything that was happening around her, and who was she to destroy that illusion? She remained silent on the matter and found an open space on the floor to lay on while she tried to get some sleep.

It felt like almost no time later before Kay was being gently wakened by Li Moon while the others slept on around her. Kay emerged from her dreamless sleep groggily and sat up.

"The sun will rise in an hour, shiriai," Li Moon whispered. "You've an early meal in the common area with the prince's soldiers, and you'll all head out after that. Make sure to bring anything you need with you."

"I don't have anything," Kay replied in an equal volume as she got to her feet. "Let's go."

Li Moon led her to the common area in the pitch blackness of the caverns, stopping at the entrance. She turned to Kay. "This is where we must part ways, I'm afraid. Try not to worry, shiriai. The prince is a good man. He'll make sure you're taken care of on your journey."

Kay nodded, trying to ignore the sudden anxiety she felt at being thrust into yet another new situation so quickly, and the sadness of leaving her new friend behind.

"Oh, and if you happen upon any enemies during your travels," Moon added with an encouraging smile, "show them what you're made of, like you did before. Take them down for us."

"I'll certainly try," Kay promised with half a laugh. Li Moon bowed to her. Kay returned the gesture, and then the young fox was scampering back into the darkness from whence she'd come. Alone again, Kay took a breath, steeled herself, and entered the common area.

She didn't know what she'd been expecting when Espio said he'd be taking some men with him to the capital, but this small group of six was definitely not it. They all sat clustered around one table at the front of the common area, eating their portions silently. Espio was nowhere to be seen. For a moment Kay just stood there, uncertain what to do. But then one of the men looked up, and she recognized Li Yuen. He gestured to the kitchens.

"They've got a bowl for you in there, shiriai. Eat up. We're leaving soon."

She hurried to do what he'd said, silently receiving her meal and nodding her thanks to the Mobian who'd handed it to her. In the back of her mind she thought how surprising it was that Espio would take Li Yuen along with him to the capital, but then after another thought she decided it really wasn't that far-fetched an idea. He was most certainly Espio's most trusted guard if he'd been stationed to the entrance of this haven and was almost always around when the prince was. But adept as he may have been at guarding civilians, Kay had a suspicion his primary job was to be a personal bodyguard for Espio himself, or something similar to that position.

The small group finished eating and silently rose from the table to deposit their dishes by the kitchen door. Kay followed suit, though she was not quite finished yet, and took Li Yuen's offered hand as they expertly traversed the passage that led to the smaller room she'd been in yesterday after the attack. Espio was there, dressed all in black once again. It was only then that Kay noticed the entire group was clad in the dark color – except for her. She was still wearing the shimmery purple dress Amy had given her on Bygone Island weeks ago.

Espio and his men exchanged words in their native language, and they each took a weapon from the small stash on the far side of the room. Kay, uncertain what to do, stayed where she was. Finally the prince turned to her, offering new clothes. "You'll have to change, shiriai. With that outfit the enemy would spot you in the forest a mile away. We're trying to make this a discreet mission. No head turning if possible."

Kay accepted the garments. "Of course, your highness."

"Espio," he corrected with a small smile. "I'll have everyone leave so you can change in private. When you're finished one of my men will be outside the door to lead you the rest of the way." Then, after a slight pause, he put his hand on her shoulder. "I'm sorry you had to get caught up in this war, Kay."

She shook her head. "It's my fault for being so determined to ignore everyone's warnings. I'm sorry I didn't listen."

Once everyone had their weapons in hand, Espio grabbed his own and ushered everyone out of the room so Kay could have her privacy. She tried to be as quick as she could in her changing, pulling on the simple sleeveless, formless top and loose pants as quickly as she could. She also discarded her boots in favor of more traditional tough sandals like the men wore. When she was finished – now wearing all black like the others – she wondered what to do about her old clothes, but ultimately decided to just leave them be – it wasn't like she could carry them with her, and really, a dress wasn't her style anyway. Maybe one of the refugee women here could use it.

Kay exited the room to see Li Yuen standing guard outside. He turned to her and nodded politely, then held out a small dagger to her. "It goes in your sash, like this." He demonstrated how to sheath the small weapon while keeping it out of sight to onlookers, and then handed her one more item. "The prince says you can handle a bo," Yuen said. "Here is one for you to use should you need it."

Kay took the simple weapon from him and allowed him to help her strap on its holster, like the one she'd seen Donatello use. Now fully suited up, so to speak, she felt both more integrated into this kingdom and completely out of place in it. "Thank you," she said to him.

Yuen nodded, then offered his hand to lead her through the darkened tunnels toward the exit and the beginning of their journey across Chun-Nan. "Brace yourself out there, shiriai." His voice was grave as the first rays of sunrise appeared ahead of them. "War is no place for the faint of heart."