The Start

Veronica

I thought I was normal. No. I wasn't. The real question is. Who are they? And what does mother want? I stand there. Unable to move. Unable to speak. The cold snow piled on me faster and faster, like tiny led bullets. And all I hear is her voice. Low and clear.

But actually, there is no voice. I run. Well, because for sure, she is coming for me.

*

I walk. I walk and walk like I am running. I am farther than I am supposed to be. The nearer I go, the safer I am. The farther from her is the closest to safety. The snow crunches beneath my feet as I run. I try to take my breaths slower, but it is no use.

My long boots dig into the depth of the snow. And I squeeze myself tight, admiring the scenery that belonged me. I had to escape.

My mother is always the rude one. Capable of abusing and tormenting her own child. It's pretty rude, but worse than rude. I never went to school, nor had I had any friends. My father left my mother and took me to California a few years ago. Then after two days, my mother stole me at night and took me to be her maid. It is the least that I can say.

That's when I hear footsteps. Mother.

Running weakly, I plunge into a deep crevis of a tree. It is perfect for me to fit into. I squeeze my eyes shut as the footsteps come closer and closer. The footsteps stop. What if they aren't footsteps? I can be hearing things, or I-

My thoughts close away.

The bark scrapes against my face as a heavy feeling presses onto my head through the thin bark. The hairs on the back of my neck become alert. And there is cold, raspy breathing. It doesn't sound human at all. It sounds animal. And worst of all, bloody. I try not to wet my self as more pawprints hit me.

I close my eyes. That's when I'm probably the most stupid person in the world because I jumped out of the crevis and ran through the snow. I turn around and see an arctic wolf. It plunges towards me, and I scream. My cape flies through the air and I hold it back, trying to hold my fear inside. My dad used to say that when an animal is chasing you, it's best to hold your fear back. Because they can sense your fear. But I have fear, which makes it worse.

I have to get out of here. I skid across the ice smoothly with my right boot. But I am too heavy, and I plunge into the murky water. I don't know what to do. I can't think. Cold water engulfs me and water interlocks my vision-

Then teeth grab me gently and pull me out of the water and onto the safe ground. I turn and the wolf is there, staring at me. I breathe for the first time and bite my lip, trying not to scream. The wolf growls at me and I stagger back. More wolfs follow in the back.

But it isn't growling at me

But it isn't growling at me. It isn't looking at me. It is looking behind me...

I turn and the wolf jumps over me, shinning it's white pearl teeth as it bites a bear. The other wolves run away without a care, and that's when I felt bad. I scream and think about running away, but I can't. The wolf had saved me. And I have to run away with him.

I watch as the bear collapses to the ground, scraping the wolf in the chest with its long nails. I cry as blood stains his coat. I grab a long stick from the ground and twirl it at the bear. An icy hand lurches in my stomach and it tells me to run. The bear turns with It's amber eyes glistening in the mid-evening. Angry, and rotten to the bone, it jumps at me, sending an almost howl.

The wolf jumps at the bear, ripping its neck angrily. The bear doesn't even stand, and it surrenders, fleeing right after the wolf turns to me sadly. The wolf's eyes water and it stares at me. He collapses mournfully, without ease.

And I collapse too.

A/N plz point out my mistakes! I would really appreciate that!