The Next

Kalila

I strap the rope around the handle of the rusty bucket over and over again. Double tying the end for extra measure. I do this because the water is really heavy in this wooden bucket. I rip a piece of my blue satin dress and tie my blonde hair in a low ponytail. My dress is dirty because of its the only dress I have besides the dirty, almost-black green dress.

My family is pretty poor compared to the other people in the village because my father left when I was only 6. My happy quiet dad, who loved me so much banished my family, stealing everything but $5. And now he is careless to me. My mother never married another man after that. My brother told her so many times to just find a rich, smart, loving man and marry him. My mother just rolled her eyes and scolded him, so he never asked again.

I pull the rope over my shoulder. And it digs into my skin. I groan and stick my hand under it. After a few minutes of impelling in pain, I finally manage to get a rest under a tree. I'm almost home, but I can't bear to take another move. Finding my breaths, I rest my back on the tree, closing my eyes, and feeling the warm wind, press against my skin. The trees rustle, and the birds chirp making an absolute paradise compared to my cramped home. I smile and take these wonderous thoughts into my head.

Till I realize I'm thirsty.

I cup my hands and put them in the bucket. A little bit of water won't mind. The water is cool and cold. I pull my hands out, water spilling out of the cracks between my fingers. I suck it in. But it's so icy cold. I shiver, as the last bits of water in my mouth get colder and colder as they slide down my tongue. Then they turn rock solid. I choke and cough them out of my mouth. Then the warm air surrounding and hitting me starts to get cool, then cooler, then dark cold. I squeeze my self tight. Shivering, as a piece of white fluffy stuff falls to my nose.

Snow.

It's the middle of spring, how could there be snow? If the water in my mouth turned cold, and if it's starting to snow, that means......the water is probably ice. I pull my hand out from the ball I formed and try to dump it into the water. But it just slides across it.

It's ice.

I open my mouth in shock but more snow falls into it. I raise a brow and look at the sky, as snow falls everywhere. I stand to look at my odd surroundings. Snow is starting to fall on the trees and ground, overtaking the view of lush, green grass. The sky turns darker and darker, forming a bitter-cold winter. As the last bit of spring fades away, I grab the bucket and start running. At least, I can't run. The ice is way to heavy. Not even able to slide on the ground.

I leave it and run. Only me, shivering and running as the snow starts to blanket the ground. I trip over a tree root. Falling into the snow. My nose turns pink, and my skin turns wet and pink-almost red. I whine. I see my tiny cottage in the distance, warm smoke comes out the chimney. My mom is probably baking porridge over the fireplace. We don't even have a stove. We have to refrigerate our food in a tiny cabinet. And the rest goes under our tiny bed. Since my mom and I are girls our brother sleeps on the wooden floor, with every blanket we have. And the only blanket that my mom and I have is the thinnest blanket ever.

Then a voice comes.

"Run, child. She's coming. She's coming.."

The voice is so heavy I only got part of what it even said. I shake terribly and run. My skin is thick so it helps me on my run. My eyes start watering.

"KALILA!" A deep woman voice rings.

I stop in my tracks turning around. Far in the trees is a shadow, with a hood. My teeth chatter, as I get colder and colder.

I look back and start running. But the problem is that I stand in place. My eyes interlocking with the deep, evergreen, devilish eyes under the hood. I wheeze in pain as vines trap me, climbing up to my neck. I glare daggers at it, thinking if it could just fly back. It obeys, and it shoots back, bringing the vines back with it.

I gasp, my arms glowing purple. Then snow covers it all.

 Then snow covers it all

I shiver. I'm probably going to get frostbite. And Hypothermia. Just as the figure stands up, I run. Run home. As fast as my legs could carry me.

A/N Plz point out my mistakes! I would really appreciate that!