25 - Codification

A/N: Someone DM'ed me asking who Buck and the other Pilots mentioned by Vale in the last chapter were. Buck, Gray, Rose, and Fallon are all originally from another story I wrote, titled, "Live Fire". Vale was not THE main character, but the story was somewhat of an origin story for her and how she became a Simulacrum. Over time, I've added them into the main series (Rose helped with the bombing in Tempest, Gray has been helping Gates throughout Cinder).

It is not necessary to have read "Live Fire", but the characters will make more sense if you do. It can be found on my stories page.

In addition, if several things seem to stand out to you as not lining up with already established story/lore, chances are that it's one of the quick fixes I've implemented to save this story before I go back and write "The Architect Codex".

...

Despite having been a tortured captive for the last few years, the Architect seemed to be in far better condition than one would have thought.

The moment Tobias had entered the medical bay, he felt the intrinsic sense of being the target of someone's attention. It was like a small buzzing that extended over his skin and through the tips of his fingers as he grew closer in proximity to Al'cor. She, for her part, immediately moved to shakily stand from the bed upon which she'd previously been lying.

Tobias, I-

"Whoa!" he exclaimed worriedly, moving to grab her and gently lower her back onto the bed in a sitting position. "Don't strain yourself, you've got about four years' worth of recovering to do."

The way she spoke, materializing the thoughts and words directly into his mind, was not something easily forgotten. While he didn't exactly mind the nonverbal communication that the Architect preferred, he was glad that it wasn't something he had to deal with daily. His neural link with Kay as a Titan had been one thing, but that was where he drew the line when it came to others allowed in his head.

The medical staff at least seemed to have taken care of her for the most part; they had wrapped her limbs in gauze where the longest slices had been, and they were watching her consistently for signs of permanent damage. One of them moved to help him with stabilizing her, and he was surprised to see it was Mayfair.

"Doctor? What are you doing here?"

She raised an eyebrow, though still spoke carefully as though in fear of being reprimanded. "Well, as you so obviously just stated yourself, I am a doctor. And considering the ... uniqueness ... of our patient here, I would think my expertise would be welcomed."

Realizing she was right, he opted to simply shut his mouth and let her work.

Al'cor returned her faceless gaze to him once again. It is good to see you again, my friend.

She sounded very tired, but sincere. Or at least he hoped so, considering what had happened the last time he'd trusted her. With no other leads to go on, it looked like he was going to be forced to place his faith in her once more.

The door slid open from behind him, and he turned to see Kay, Vale, and Buck enter the medical bay. His partner's blue visor set its sights on him immediately, and she walked over to join him at Al'cor's side. Looking down, she made a small, reserved head movement towards her. "Al'cor."

KT-zero-two-nine-eight. The Architect's tone wasn't fearful, but certainly hesitant. The AI had spoken of you as though you were alive. I had hoped he was correct.