1/31- The Gong

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Every year for as long as anyone can remember the gong is hit every 57 minutes. It controls our lives, it makes us change what we're doing. Every period in school is 57 minutes long, each person only gets 57 minutes of sleep at a time, before we're back to working the fields. No one knows why except for the ancient gong keeper himself. It's said he sleeps next to it. Every year another person goes missing, and the gong gets a deeper shade of violet each year. "They've repainted it." "It's always been like that." "You're a fool, Peter."

I hate this place. I hate this city. I hate the field But there's no way out. The guards stand firm, and no one escapes their rugged gaze. No one escapes their spears. No one escapes the wall. Even if you could get past the city guards, past all the fields and all the people under the control of the gong, vicious to report anyone to the gong keeper. If you got past all of that, the wall looms o'er you. It's smooth, stopping anyone from climbing it, and even you made it up the slick stone, you'd be hundreds of feet in the air. The only way is the great gate, where the seed bearers and all new inhabitants of this hole come from. It's under heavy guard, but I think I can make it. 

Are you coming?