2/1- The Trek

The weight of his pack started to strain on his arms. 200 pounds and change sagged on his arms. His trek was long and dangerous. Hopefully, there would be no raiders on the thin mountain road. For the only things he carried were his pack and a torch. But that trail did not end in the mountains for he was only on the first leg of his journey. The journey that wound and bound and wound again, would take him on the isolated roads of Europe. His cargo was not just food, and water. It was precious. If he failed, the weight of a nation would be upon him. Speaking of water, he was thirsty.  His bearskin canteen was only seconds away from his parched lip when he heard a twig snap. His head turned straight towards the sound. it seemed to be nothing. 

Along he went, switching up and down a mountain when the sky turned pitch black. Among his strenuous cargo was a small tent. He set it up slowly, taking time to enjoy the fresh air and sounds of the mountain. How good it was to be back with mother nature, he thought. After his tent was up and overlooking the deep crevice below. His stomach began to grumble, so he lifted out a piece of bread and began to chew. The soft bread felt better than the stinging air of the mountain.  The final bite went down, and the icy breeze turned to a gust as a flurry of snow stuck to his straggly beard. It was time to sleep. As he unpacked his cargo, one bundle began to shake. He opened up the thin fabric to find a smiling face looking back at him. It was the face of the Future King of Russia. Soon he would be back home, but first the long trek ahead.

Hey everybody! Before anybody whines about me not writing about any of these ideas, I've got a solution.  For all 3 people reading this, (thanks, mom) you can vote one any idea this week (1/30-2/3) and I will expand on the idea in a different book.

Thanks!