Ch. 4 "A Long Way"

"Found Mars," Rogue shouted, staring out the window.

"You dipstick, that's mercury!" Snapped Scepter.

Virgo furrowed her eyes. "We won't even see Mercury. Mercury is behind Earth, genius."

"Who asked for your opinion, nerd!"

Virgo crossed her arms. "First of all, it's a true fact not an opinion. Second of all, I preferred to be called statistic analyst."

Scepter mimicked Virgo with her hand. "Blah, blah, blah. I'm Virgo and I'm sooo smart and people need to listen to me and respect me or else I get all pushy!"

"Will you three shut up!" Eve yelled from across the room.

The probes turned to her. "Someone's a little angsty, today." Scepter smirked.

"Screw off."

"Is it about that trash robot?" Rogue questioned.

"Why do you care?"

"I'm just asking."

"Maybe," Eve replied. "I don't know. None of you would understand anyway."

Rogue put on a puzzled look. "Why?"

"Because you're all probes!" She answered.

"So are you."

"I mean inside." Eve hovered closer to her sisters. "You're all robots inside yourself. You don't feel emotion like him and I do."

Rogue furrowed her eyes. "Well, that's because we're all robots. There is nothing in our programming that says that we have the ability to copy the social life of humans."

"It doesn't matter if you're human or not. It doesn't matter if you have blood or electricity coursing through your body. Anyone can feel emotion. If your really try— whatever. You guys wouldn't understand anyway."

Rogue continued to stare. "Since when did you become so— emotional?"

"Hey, whats the score?" Scepter yelled trying to change the subject.

Rogue went through her memory. "I found Mars, Scepter found a comet and the horse head nebula, and Virgo found two comets, and the moon. So, Virgo's winning.

Scepter put her head in her arms. "Typical that the team nerd won."

"Statistic analyst!" Virgo snapped.

Eve ignored their bickering and floated back to the window. She admitted to herself that she was being emotional— but she had never really thought she would be this way. Sure, she missed Wall•E too much already, but why does it hurt so much? They've only been separated for a few hours and it feels like Eve just wants to tear out her circuits and scream. Plus, none of her probe sisters would understand. They haven't felt what she has before and they might never will.

Eve continued to stare and look all mopey when someone, very lightly, tapped her on the back. She huffed and turned around. It was Purity. The yellow eyed, shy one. Eve was shocked. "Oh hey— how have you been?" Eve didn't know what to say. She barely knew anything about this probe.

Purity hovered next to her. "I was just wondering, if it's ok with you, what is it like?"

Eve looked puzzled. "What is what like?"

"Emotion." Purity twiddled her fingers. "I mean- what is like to love— or in fact be loved."

Eve thought for a moment. No one has ever asked that before and how could a simple robot, like herself, explain that. "It's not something you see, it's something you feel."