Adoptions, Suspicious Activity and YouTube Sensations

Chapter 3 – Adoptions, Suspicious Activity and YouTube Sensations

Hiding around a corner, I pondered was this really how low I’d sunk. Eavesdropping on Gray. Glancing round the wall, I ducked as he looked in my direction. Damn it, Kate was right. Somehow a broken nose made his face look more rugged and handsome than before.

***

“So would you like fries with that?” I asked politely.

Writing down the rest of the order I turned away and entered the kitchen. Screwing up my face I looked at Rachael who was waiting for Freddie, the chef to hand her two lasagnes. “My face hurts from all the smiling.” I whined.

She snorted at me “I know it’s hard for you to smile at people and wish their spoilt children a happy day Jade, but if you keep doing that to your face, you’ll have wrinkles before you’re twenty.”

“Order five up.” Freddie shouted through the clouds of smoke that surrounded him.

“That’s me! Catch up at break!” Rachael shouted as she exited backwards through the swinging door into the crowded restaurant.

I passed the order to Freddie and poured some drinks. Rachael came rushing in. Breathing heavily with excitement she mumbled “There are three hot guys asking for you at table 20. They wouldn’t let me serve them. Who are they you lucky devil?”

I stared at her in shock. “I don’t have a clue.”

“Well get out there. I’ll finish your order. Gosh I could stare at them all day.” Rachael said while shoving me out the door. Temporarily disorientated I glanced around the restaurant. Moving towards table 20 I stood there in shock as I saw Gray’s friends Max and the twins Jack and Luke staring at me. Oh crap. What now?

After a moment Jack laughed and tapped the seat beside him. “Sit down then, we won’t bite.”

“Much!” Max muttered with a wink and a grin at me.

I backed up slowly and shook my head. “Sorry can’t...I’m working.”

 At that moment an elderly customer said “You, there I’ve been waiting for my drink for five minutes. Where is it?” Thank you, you old bat for inadvertently saving me.

I shrugged helplessly at them “sorry” as I ran off.

Rachael passed me on the way to the kitchen. “What are you doing?” She screeched.

“Table 17 needed their drinks.” I answered.

“Fine, I’ll get them. You’re taking your break now.” She demanded while forcefully taking my apron off and pushing me back towards the table. Shuffling my feet forward, I turned back to see Rachael glaring pointedly at me. Ok ok, sheesh keep your hair on.

I approached the table and sat down next to Jack leaving a huge gap so that I would have time to escape if I needed to. Luke laughed across the table and looked at me knowingly. God cant I get anything past people nowadays. Max lowered his gaze and eyed Rachael. “I like your friend, she’s fiery.”

I glared at him and scolded “Eyes at her face dickwad.”

The three of them laughed. Jack turned to the others and said “We’ve definitely made the right choice.” I looked at them confused. What are they talking about?

“Is this something to do with Gray?” I asked warily.

“Not really. It’s to do with you actually!” Jack answered.

“Ooookkkkk.” I said slowly, “How?”

“We...” Jack said gesturing to himself and the others, “want to adopt you.”