6

Somehow unexpectedly, I got close to Chiho.

I clicked the end of my mechanical pencil repeatedly, frustrated that no lead would come out.

"Need some lead?" Chiho offered with it in her hand.

"Oh yeah, thanks" I grabbed it from her hand, but because of the lead's thinness I ended up touching her hand as well.

Ciho just grinned at me.

I figured out soon how attentive Chiho was, seeming to always help me out at the perfect moment. Things like giving me paper, snacks during lunch, or an excuse to miss gym class were all well for me. (She pretended to be sick and I took her to the nurses office during gym.) Well, she does sit next to me after all.

Before the person sitting next to me was someone who had bad eyesight, which was an inconvenience as we were in the back of the classroom. Chiho offered switching seats with her, and now Chiho and I sit together.

Chiho's actually not that bad, once you get to know her. So, this takes us to where we are now.

"Can I come over your house?"

"Huh? Today?" I unintentionally ended up showing an unhappy expression. But you know, I just starting talking to her recently.

"Yup! Come on, it'll be fun. We could do whatever you feel like"

When she says "whatever I want"....

"You did say you needed help with science, right? I'm pretty good at that, if I do say so myself" She smiled.

Does that mean I can copy her answers? Hmm...

"Well, if you say so..."

I don't know if it's a coincidence but Chiho picked to hang out the one day that Akari had to make up work after school, meaning Akari wouldn't walk home with me.

We arrived at my house, and I was a bit startled when I saw Daichi. Right, I have a brother now, my house isn't empty anymore. That's gonna be tough to get used to.

"Welcome back (y/n)" He tried smiling at me.

Weirded out by the unusual new greeting after school, I ended up saying nothing and ignored him while walking up the stairs to my room. Chiho didn't move for a couple seconds, but then followed behind me tentatively. Once we got to my room, she began.

"Do you not get along with your brother or something?"

Ugh, the question I expected, but hoped not to hear. If Akari was here she'd understand.

"Well...he just started living here recently and I'm not used to him...he's a bit annoying" I sighed at the last part.

"What? So you're useless after all"

My eyes widened at the sudden scowl she showed, and those cold, glaring eyes.

"H-huh?" I was taken back, as I had never seen anyone change their expression this fast before.

"I said you're useless. And here I thought you could actually help me"

"I don't get what you're talking about"

She grunted, looked awfully irritated.

"Your brother's such a good catch, I just want to get close to him. When I heard you were his sister I decided to 'befriend you'"

"So you mean...you just wanted to use me to get close to him?"

"Well, pretty much"

Just then I was reminded of Akari's words, "she's a witch".

"So why is it that you're so rude to him! Unforgivable, if I had a brother like that I would treat him a lot better!" She suddenly pushed me forward.

My back hit the wall and my eye winced from the impact. She slammed her hand against the wall near my face, and leaned in close to my face.

"It's unforgivable so you know what that means?" She whispered.

Abruptly the door to my room slammed open.

"Akari!" I said in a shocked yet thankful voice.

She speed walked towards Chiho and roughly took Chiho's hand off of the wall.

"Don't you DARE touch (y/n)"

I was thankful at first, but the face Akari is showing now...it's a bit scary.

(A/N: I guess this is a Valentine's Day present. )