01

life as we know it

life as we know it

Milana sat staring at the ceiling of her cell from her top bunk, as she felt the constant kicks from below. The felt her stiff mattress shift everytime the foot from below would kick it. Eventually reaching her last straw, she rolled her eyes and leaned down to the bed below.

"O, do you mind not doing that? It's getting annoying."

"Sorry M... I'm just bored." Octavia sighed.

"Me too." Milana groaned, lying back down to stare at the same old ceiling that had been above her for the past two years.

That however, didn't last very long as the door was burst open by two Ark guards.

The two girls shot up from their beds. Milana jumped down quickly, moving to stand beside Octavia, grabbing her arm in fear. The two backed away cautiously into the corner of the room as the guards edged closer.

"Prisoners 72 and 73, face the wall." The dark haired one ordered.

"Bu-but it's not our time. We can't be floated." Octavia stuttered.

"Face the wall." The man ordered more sternly, his voice raising in anger.

The two girls did as they were told, feeling a sharp prick on their wrist before they were dragged out the room, one behind each other.

The girls watched as they were filed into a line along with all the other delinquents, who like them, where being dragged out of their cells. As she scanned the gaping room around her, Milana's eyes widened as she saw her only other friend other than Octavia.

"Nate!" She shouted, seeing him a few people ahead of her.

With a familiar beanie on his head, he turned as he heard the undoubtedly familiar voice.

"Milana!" He shouted back with a smile. Before her sentencing, Milana had a short two week period in limbo when the council didn't know what to do with her. In that time, she found herself in a regular cell adjoined with that of Nathan Miller's. It took mere hours for the pair to begin their friendship.

Filing into line, Milana walked behind the other prisoners. Every single one looking as confused as the next. On her way past she eyed Councilman Kane and Dr. Abby Griffin, both pairs of eyes lingering on her as she walked past towards the ladder.

Climbing high into the large metal coffin, as Milana saw it, she found Octavia immediately. The two girls settled beside each other, holding hand tightly. "O, are we really-"

"Going to Earth? I think so." Octavia sighed, resting her head back against the seat

The two girls squeezed each other's hands tightly as they felt themselves begin their journey to Earth. She didn't even take notice of the floating boys throughout the ship, or Jaha's voice filling the air. All she could think about was that she was really going to Earth. She had dreamed about Earth for the longest time. She used to torture her brother with facts she would read in books. Bren. Her brother, like Octavia's, would be left utterly alone, not knowing the fate of his sister down on Earth. Milana missed him clenched her jaw tightly to stop the tears that threatened to spill.

"Goodbye Bren." Milana whispered. Her brother would live on, alone in space, while she lived down on Earth. If they made it.

However, loud screams caught her attention as everyone flew forward in their seats. They had stopped moving. They had made it.

"Here that? No machine hum." Milana's head turned to see two boys she recognised from her previous Earth Skill's class on the ark.

Her gaze was broke when Octavia appeared in front of her.

"Come on M! Lets go!" She shouted over the loud noise, dragging her down the ladder. The two girls pushed their way to the front of the large crowd which had formed. Milana's heart sped up dramatically when she saw a familiar looking man in a guard uniform by the door.

She heard Octavia say his name and run to give him a hug, but Milana seemed frozen in her spot. It felt like a lifetime since she had seen him.

The man's eyes looked up from the hug as he pulled away from his sister. Feeling his breath hitch, he opened his mouth to say something but nothing came out.

"Bell..." Milana whispered breathily, before tackling him into a hug.

"Hey Lana." He whispered, squeezing her tightly.

"What are you wearing? A guard's uniform?" Octavia asked.

"I borrowed it to get on the dropship. Someone's gotta take care of you two." Bellamy explained, earning a grin from Milana.

"Where's your wristband?" The three turned to see a blonde wearing a questional look. Milana had no idea who she was, and frankly why she had decided to butt in on their reunion.

"Do you mind, we haven't seen my brother in over a year?" Octavia sassed.

That's when the shouting began.

"Nobody has brother!"

"That's Octavia Blake, the girl they found hidden in the floor." Someone shouted.

"And Milana Santos. The other second child that hid between the walls."

"They became friends by not being allowed to be born." Another mocked.

The two raven-haired girls launched forward in anger only to be caught by Bellamy.

"Octavia, Milana no!" He forced, turning the girls around. "Let's give them something else to remember you by."

"Yea like what?" Milana asked, the hint of sass in her tone bringing a smile out of Bellamy.

"Like being the first people on the ground in a hundred years." With that Bellamy pulled the lever and opened the dropship door. Light and air slowly flooded into the dropship as the door lowered open.

Octavia reached her hand out to Milana who grabbed it eagerly. The two walked out breathless as they're eyes scanned the beauty around them. It was so green. Milana hadn't seen anything so bright and colourful before. It was beautiful.

They both jumped down from the step of the door and onto the ground, taking a deep breath in.

Milana looked at Octavia with a knowing smirk before throwing their arms in the air with an ecstatic cry from the two.

"We're back bitches!"