05

Milana sat perched in her usual tree, watching the silent camp slumber in the night

Milana sat perched in her usual tree, watching the silent camp slumber in the night. His Royal Highness has retreated into his tent hours before, with a a gaggle of willing volunteers wanting to join him but Milana had stayed up to help watch Jasper.

His groans of pain brought tears to Milana's eyes as she attempted to comfort him, running her fingers through his hair soothingly to try to provide some relief. But the boy had impaled through the chest, so there wasn't much she could do other than try. After a few hours, Clarke came to releve her but Milana was now wide awake and so perched herself on her favourite branch.

Taking in a deep breath, Milana sighed peacefully. The air filled up her lungs until her chest felt tight, before releasing a breath calmly. She repeated this over and over until she felt at peace. Never once did Milana think she would witness Earth, especially not after she was arrested. And she appreciated every bit of it. She imagined humans would have once complained about the rain, but she found it magnificent. And the feeling of the wind brushing her hair was by far her favourite.
Closing her eyes, Milana finally felt comfortable on Earth.

Until a shrill scream pierced through the air.

Leaping from her branch, Milana ran to find find a young girl sitting up from her sleeping bag breathing heavily. "Are you okay?" Milana crouched beside the girl, her hands gently rubbing the girls shoulders. She met Clarke's eyes, who had rushed out of the dropship at the sound of the scream, nodding to the girl reassuringly. Clarke nodded in return, knowing the Milana had the situation handled.

Milana turned her attention back to the young girl, who still shook until her touch. "Was it a bad dream?" The young girl nodded in response, her eyes averted from Milana. "You know I get bad dreams a lot, and someone once told me it's better to talk about them to get the out of your head."

The girl seemed to hesitate slight, her mouth opening and closing as if she count form the right words.

"It's my parents."

"Okay," Milana nodded, urging her to continue.

"They were floated, and I see it in my dreams—"

"Shush, it's okay," Milana hushed gently, as the girls voice cracked. "My mom was floated too."

The girl looked up to Milana for the first time, meet her eyes as if looking for confirmation of the truth. Milana smiled weakly and nodded.

"They said I assaulted a guard, that's how I got down here," she continued. "They were taking my parents things to the redistribution centre, and I just got so mad."

"I understand, don't worry. I attacked two guards when they tried to take my friend away." Milana stroked the young girls hair, gently tucking a strand behind her ear. "There's not a lot we wouldn't do when it comes to protecting those we love."