Chapter 6

I sat in my usual chair and read to myself. It was the story of a forbidden love, trying to save a kingdom during a war. A beautiful story actually. All was quiet as soon as Phillip ran into the room. "Everyone I have an announcement." Phillip stated as everyone turned to face him. "We are going to meet the queen of england." He grinned as everyone laughed and were excited, except for me and the Wheelers.

"Are we all, invited?" I stated as everyone grew quiet. I stood up from my seat and placed my book down, waiting for an answer.

"Well, I told her that either all of us go, or none of us will." Phillip stated as everyone jumped for joy and cheered.

------------------------------------------------------

We walked down the hall of Buckingham Palace and waited anxiously to meet the queen. "I'm so nervous." I whispered to Anne as we followed the group.

"How do you think I feel?" Anne joked quietly as she tried to cover her self up. Anne's costume is, really, really revealing. I understand why she would feel awkward.

The doors opened as we all walked into the queens throne room. "May I present, Mr Barnum." Phillip stated as he made everyone direct their attention to P.T.

"It's a honor to meet you." P.T. stated as Queen Victoria looked at him.

"The honor is all mine." The queen responded as she looked at us all. Her attention immediately shot to our soldier, Tom. "Wow, you are much shorter then I imagined."

Oh god here we go...

"You aren't exactly reaching the top shelf yourself." Tom joked as I gasped and smacked his shoudler. The queen was silent, then bursted into laughter seconds later.

After a while, we all stood in the throne room and talked, my eyes turned to face a beautiful woman. "W-Who's that?" I asked as Phillip and P.T. looked over at who I was talking about.

"Jenny Lind. One of the most popular singers in England." Phillip stated as P.T. and I looked at her in Awe. "I'm going to introduce you two."

"Please no." I stated quickly as Phillip could see fear in my eyes. "I don't think she would like me."

"Bu-"

"I'll go." P.T. stated as he looked at Phillip, then back at me. "Evelyn, go find Lettie and make sure she isn't too drunk."

"Yes sir!" I cheered as I ran off to find Lettie. I wasn't paying attention and bumped into someone, quickly panicking as I regained my posture. "I'm sorr-"

"Evelyn?" A familiar voice asked as I looked up to see someone I had almost forgotten about.

"Christopher? Is this really you?" I asked as I questioned in my head if this was a dream or not. Christopher nodded and grabbed my hand, dragging me into an empty hall way.

"Evelyn? What are you doing here? How did you get here?" Christopher asked as I looked up at the boy. He had matured and had a handsome face, but had the same scruffy brown hair from our childhood.

"I'm a performer in the Circus. I'm still in New York. Still living on the streets. Same old Same old." I joked as he hugged me. It was a tight and friendly hug, but you could tell that we missed eachother. "Where have you been?"

"Here, but I'm moving back to New York for a job that my parents offered." He grinned as I stared at him.

"So still little rich boy?" I said as he looked surprised and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Sadly, yes." Christopher sighed as an Idea popped into his head. "Will you be attending Jenny Lind's performance tonight?"

"I think so, all the circus performers are invited."

"Sit with me and my family, we will be in one of the hig-"

"No. I can't. I have to sit in the back with my friends."

"Then I'll be with you! I'm sure Mr Barnum won't mind."

"You can try." I stated as P.T. ran up to us. We both were startled as he didn't even notice I was talking with someone.

"Hello, Mr Barnum." Christopher stated as P.T. looked at him and shook his hand. "My name is Christopher Bellegram. Is it okay if I sit with your performers tonight at the performance?"

"Oh, yes of course." P.T. stated as he turned his attention to me. "Anne needs you, she has to help you get ready."

"Yes sir. Goodbye Christopher." I stated as I walked off with P.T.

------------------------------------------------------Christopher and I watched as Jenny performed, She truly had the voice of an angel. I felt Christopher's gaze on me, which of course caused me to resist looking at him. The young man grabbed my hand, making me panic.

For some reason, I enjoyed his presence. I loved his fingers laced with mine. Sadly, life isn't perfect this way. Christopher and I can't be together.

I looked up to see his grandparents looking at him, with a awful and disgusted expression on their faces. I pulled my hand away and ran away from Christopher as fast as I could.

And what did he do?

He acted as if nothing happened.