Chapter 34: How's Severide?

As per Anna's request, the ceremony was open to a select few and amongst those were the firefighters of 51. Towards the end she had considered them her family and knew, as time went on, they would be the ones picking up Kelly from his inevitable fall.

The service had been been very respectful with colour everywhere. The casket, 'Anna' spelt out in flowers of blue, pink and orange. All in order to represent the happiness the young nurse brought the sick children she cared for, even when she, herself was weak. It had been emotional, Anna was young and had been taken far too soon to the disease that felt 'grace' on the earth to earn itself a name. Cancer. A word that consumes and crumbles the lives of thousands across the world, every second.

*****

No one really knew what to say as they wandered around Severide's apartment, a place he had bought a few months ago when he found himself under Gabby and Matt's feet. It was good enough for him, a Kelly Severide bachelor pad if you like.

Emilia made it her misson to organise the wake, she wanted Anna to have the send off she deserved and one that would also bring Kelly some peace too. He had suffered enough. So alongside Anna's brother, she helped, not with anything physical but the organising. Anna's mom and dad had been grateful and had even mentioned that they had been upset that they didn't have much to do with the "tight knit" community the firehouse offered.

They had all been quietly conversing when the sound of ringing disturbed the silence in the open planned room.

"Sorry. Sorry" Jay apologised, receiving a stern glare from his girlfriend as he answered the phone. "Halstead" He answered, moving away, leaving Emilia stood, a hand resting on the growing bump.

Matt had made his way to join his friend, he had only briefly saw her at the funeral itself but hadn't had much chance to speak to her since then. "Hey, how you doing?"

Emilia shrugged and nodded towards Kelly, he had been staring at the self same view for the past two hours. "It's him I'm more worried about."

With a sombre look, Matt agreed. "He'll get through this, as horrible as it sounds, he always does."

Emilia nodded. Matt was right, throughout his life, Kelly had lost countless people he loved and cared about. Her parents included.

It wasn't long before Jay returned having finished his phone call, it had been work. He came up behind his girlfriend. "That was work babe, I'm going to have to go in. Sorry" He apologised, an apologetic smile etched across his features.

Emilia nodded, "it's okay." She understood that he was needed at work and was just grateful that he had been there for her and to show his support for Kelly. "Thank you for bringing me, I'll see you after work." She smiled softly, reaching to give her boyfriend a hug that he gladly accepted.

Without many more words Jay headed towards work, promising to be home early and that he'd pick up take out on the way.

"We're going to have to get going soon kid." Chris Herrmann started as he placed a hand on the young woman's shoulder as he approached the pair. "Cindy's making your favourite, crumble, if you want to join us?" He offered with a small smile, having heard Jay leave, he didn't want the mom to be on her own.

The Lieutenant smiled and had been about to respond when she felt a sharp of pain flare through her entire body making her yelp in pain. "Argh" Emilia gritted her teeth as she grabbed onto Matt tightly.

All attention quickly diverted to Emilia, even Kelly turned his head but Mia tried her upmost best to recover as soon as she could, she couldn't have Kelly being scared about her wellbeing too.

"Em you good?" Matt checked, looking over his best friend.

"Let me just sit down." She breathed heavily. She was now 21 weeks and was nearly half way into her pregnancy. She was out of the risky trimester but was definitely not having the smoothest of experiences.

Matt was by her side at an instant and helped guide her to one of the stools that Kelly had in his apartment.

Everyone had crowded at a distance, all making sure that their lieutenant was okay and the paramedics were quick to check her over. All the whilst Kelly stood there in shock. All Mia could do was curse her entire body, the last thing she wanted to do to her best friend was put him on edge about her.

"I think we need to get you home." Matt insisted, he was somewhat of a brother to Emilia had made it his duty to care for her, especially with Kelly being slightly preoccupied these days.

"Okay. Okay. We can go, just give me a minute to get back up." Emilia hushed away.

With a little help from Matt and Gabby, Emilia was stood up and making her way towards Kelly who had turned back to face the glass, looking over Chicago. Reaching a small hand out, she gave Kelly a comforting squeeze, one of reassurance, just to bring him back to present and to remind him that she was okay.

"I'm going to have to go Kel', these little blighters found a cushion in my kidney." She chuckled lightly.

Kelly nodded, but with tears turned around. "Are you okay?"

Emilia nodded.

"Thank you for everything." Kelly whispered, a small tear fell from his eye as he turned to wrap his arms around his best friend.

Emilia couldn't bring herself to say anything so instead, she gave a small smile before turning to grab her coat.

One by one, not wanting to outstay their welcome, everyone had prepared to leave. Bar from Stella. Although not many thought anything of it, Emilia clicked.

"Stell? Can I have a word please?" She asked, quietly as she slipped her arms into the sleeves.

"Sure, sure" Stella nodded and followed Emilia to a corner, out of ear shot from everybody. "Yeah. What's up?"

"Just be careful...please.. uh I don't want Kelly- I just can't see him hurt okay." Emilia warned, as nice as she could. She had overheard that Stella Kidd was going to hold back after the wake for Kelly, as much as she respected that, and she really wasn't giving Stella a hard time, she just hoped that she would be careful. "Don't play him Stell, if you're here. Stay."

NOW GUYS! I need your help!!!! This is my favourite story to write but I really need suggestions on how to continue. I'm gutted to say that without any inspiration I'll be unable to continue this fanfic! Keep the amazing ideas coming and of course I'll credit you lovely people!

Thank you for reading!

Let me know what you think!