Snowflake Sorrows

The sound of constant thudding filled the room. She wasn't about to give up, she'd be damned if she let them best her. It had been them, their fault; they were why she cried at night. She hated them.

Hatsumomo's fists were sore, but she simply gritted her teeth and kept up the ferocious assault against the door. Who did they think they were? What did she ever do to them? No, it had been them who had wronged her, them who had ruined her life. And now it seemed they came back to finish the job...

Tears streamed down her face as she rested her head against the door, hope slowly evaporating from her. She sank to her knees, tears falling fast and hard, silent as ever. Hatsumomo felt useless. She had been useless then and useless now. Why couldn't she do anything? Always the damned damsel in distress, always in trouble, always unable to do anything about it. Why did this always happen to her?

She longed for her mother, for her father...for her sister. But they had taken them all away from her. Especially her sister, that was the worst of it. She may not gone, but she was emotionally and mentally. Their actions resulted in her distancing from Hatsumomo, the only one she had left. 

'Damn them all,' she thought bitterly, tears glistening on her petite face, 'Damn them!'

She slumped further onto the ground, laying on her side as she cried piteously. It was all she could do as unconsciousness gripped her...

                                                                                    * * *

Silent snowflakes fell from above, the sky shimmering with the precipitation. Hatsumomo smiled up at her mother, Mameha, holding onto her hand. The twelve-year old girl could barely contain the excitement bubbling within her. It was finally that time of the year: Sapporo Yuki-matsuri,the Sapporo Snow Festival, had finally arrived. She'd been looking forward to it all year, and now it was finally here -- the joy she felt was indescribable. 

Hatsumomo had a special connection with winter. She had been born during that season, early January, and the beauty of swirling snowflakes never ceased to amaze her. Her mother had once told her that each snowflake was different, unique, beautiful in its own way -- "Just like you", her mother had said, poking her nose, before scooping her up for a tight hug. Hatsumomo had giggled, making sure to remember her mother's words.

The young girl looked to her left, and saw her father, Hideo, holding hands with her sixteen year-old older sister, Sayuri. The girl looked rather cheerful, chattering excitedly with her father. Seeing her family happy made Hatsumomo smile brightly. She liked winter and its cold winds even more because it meant people were closer together, warmed by the power of their love. Winter was a beautiful time.

Her parents both donned pure white kimonos, crimson obi sashes binding it to their bodies, as did the children. White was the colour of the Yamaguchi family, symbolizing purity. The Yamaguchi were considered one of the most prestigious families in Sapporo, her father acquiring the title of "The Baron". They were respected and renowned for their kindness and honest words. Hatsumomo's father was gaining influence in the political scene of Japan, and would often attend banquets and ceremonies with other Japanese political figures. Her mother was often jokingly referred to as "Her Imperial Majesty" for being the dutiful wife and mother to Hideo, who was often stylized by friends as "His Imperial Majesty". Hatsumomo was incredibly proud of both of her parents, as was Sayuri.

The snow continued to drift lazily all about them as they made their way to the pavilion, their wooden geta leaving prints in the snow. The entire family had long since mastered the shoes to the point they could walk without slipping, even in such weather. Up ahead, Hatsumomo saw brilliant lights and large ice and snow sculptures. She tugged her mother's hand, Mameha smiling and turning to her husband.