Chapter 4

Author's note: This chapter is a bit shorter than usual but a lot happens :) 

*

When Tony walks into Pepper's office, he's greeted by two stern looks.

"I passed 'fashionably late' about seventeen selfies ago," he says, flopping down in one of the ergonomic chairs surrounding the small conference table.

Happy winces in sympathy but Pepper narrows her eyes at the paper bag and cup.

"We have coffee here."

"But none that's locally grown," Tony parries smoothly, opening the muffins and turning to Happy one chair over. "Want one?"

"Don't mind if I do, boss."

Tony snatches the bag away. "Sorry, they're mine... Na, just kidding. Help yourself. Pepper?"

"I don't want a muffin Tony. I want you to be a responsible adult for the five weeks that I'm gone so I can enjoy time with my husband."

"That'd be me," Happy adds.

"Sorry, they were all out of that."

"Tony."

"I'll be good, Pepper. I promise. I wouldn't do that to you. Both of you," he clarifies.

After a moment, Pepper visibly relaxes. Good. Tony actually meant that. They take one holiday a year since they got together after the Ultron debacle – turns out there's no benevolent AI without extensive protocols, and yeah, Tony sees that now, it was a stupid idea, but hey, at least he got the Department of Damage Control out of that – and... where was he?

Right, holiday.

Tony's been doing everything in his power to give them that time. He can be a responsible shadow CEO for a month.

"The only big-ish thing you'll have to handle is the Uber restructuring, and even that's all hashed out. We'll be back in time for the final meeting and signing with City Water."

"Ugh," Tony groans. "Why don't they just hand over the keys right now? A lifeguard at Coney Island knows more about hydraulics than these amateurs."

Happy chuckles.

"While I'm inclined to agree," Pepper says, "there are laws and rules even we have to abide by. Now, JARVIS knows your schedule and he's under strict orders to remind you and make you prepare and especially attend these meetings. Please, don't override the protocols."

"I won't," Tony promises.

Which is why, hours later, he's buried in briefings and reports to find out which clown in marketing to tear a new one at nine tomorrow.

"JARVIS, start coffee."

"I'm afraid I'm unable to comply, sir. You have yet to repair the machine."

Huh. Well... "That coffee shop still open?"

"There are 42 coffee shops in the vicinity. You will have to be more specific."

"Stop it with the Siri impressions. Playing dumb doesn't work on you."

Jarvis's silence sounds almost smug.

He does eventually provide a visual of The Hybrid Puppy, which is way too busy for 9 PM, so Tony kills some time by inspecting what used to be his coffee machine. Once the crowd has cleared, he ventures outside with his StarkPad so he can continue reading reports and checking schematics and simulations over whatever divine blend the kid has for him.