Chapter 22

Peter stares out the window, watching the grey clouds crawl by. It's better than checking his laptop, open on a muted WABC-TV livestream, cause he doubts there's been an update in the past three minutes.

The overcast sky is at least easier to focus on than the notes on his bed next to him. He's not able to do complex calculations today, especially not any that remind him of exploding web fluids and –

Peter closes his eyes.

Even lying on his bed is tiring. He wishes he could sleep, but it's been a pointless endeavor. He tried curling up in Tony's Black Sabbath T-shirt, yet that only made it worse. Putting the red-and-gold pocket squares over his eyes helped, but they smell too much like the penthouse. Everything's still too fresh and raw in his mind to lull him to sleep.

A knock on the door.

It's May, looking worried. "Adrian brought muffins, Peter. Why don't you come out and eat one?"

"I'm not hungry."

"You've got to eat, sweetie. It's not healthy."

He shrugs and turns away from her, but his aunt's persistent and so he slouches into the kitchen and nibbles on one of the savory muffins Toomes brought them. Thank god the man had to rush across town to meet a friend; Peter doubts he could have stomached his particular brand of social commentary today.

"Are Ned and MJ coming over later?"

Peter nods.

"Any chance I can interest you in some lunch before they do?"

"I just had a muffin."

"You just had half a muffin." May sighs. "Fine. I'll check on the shop once they're here. Ralf sent me a photo, it's crazy – they're even lining up on the sidewalk, can you believe it? At least this won't hurt our business. That's... something, right?"

They're not there for the coffee, Peter thinks bitterly, but bites his tongue. His aunt needs any silver lining she can find, what with lawyers and journalists calling non-stop for either an interview or to offer their services.

Ned and MJ arrive shortly before three. May feeds them muffins and tells them to behave, kisses Peter on the crown of his head, then leaves them to it.

"School was crazy, dude! Jason from the basketball team asked me if Tony Stark's your boyfriend – Jason! Jason talked to me! I didn't say anything, duh. But still!"

Peter chuckles faintly.

Ned's grin widens. "See, I told you that would cheer him up!"

"Yes, the tales of your upward mobility are heartwarming," MJ says with an eye-roll. She takes out a folder from her bag and puts it on the coffee table in front of the couch Peter's squatting on. "Notes. Homework. Enjoy."

Peter remembers to murmur a thanks, which turns into a squeak cause MJ is crossing the apartment and heading straight to his room.

"What're you – wait!"

Too late. MJ arches an eyebrow at him, then glances back at the mess in his room.

"Great to see you've been using your day off in a productive manner, Parker. Really, A+ on wallowing in teenage angst."

Peter has wrapped his arms around himself before he realizes what he's doing, which draws another sigh from MJ.

"At least tell me you know who filmed you."

"Huh?"

"What have you been doing all day? There's a sex tape of you out there and you're not investigating. Find the flaw in that."