nine

Dove

When the night comes, we decide to sleep at an inn close to where we are roaming around. More like, I convince the others to. They are of the opinion that it would be way too dangerous, given how much people talk and how important Styles's safety is, but it doesn't take long to make them realise that, considering all the kinds of people in the city that never sleeps, and considering how many people wouldn't be against sending Styles straight to hell in a permanent way, it would just be better to hide somewhere during the night.

"Do you really think I'd go to hell if I were to die now?" Styles asks me while we're walking down a to me familiar street.

I shrug, and glance at him. "I don't know, are you hoping in some kind of divine forgiveness?" I say sarcastically.

"I don't really believe in that kind of thing. I think that once we die, we just die. Everything ends there" he admits looking down.

"What a positive way to see our future. And what a good way to spend the little time you have in this world, murdering and hurting people. You really are making the best out of the time you have, aren't you?" I reply, and he glares at me, sensing the sarcasm dripping from my words.

"Is this your real opinion about me?"

I stop and turn around to face him. "What else could it be?" I say glaring at him.

"Maybe your frustration speaking. Do you need to get laid, love?" He snickers as my jaw drops at his forwardness.

"Fuck you, Styles" I hiss before going away, leaving him and the two guards to rush after me.

We reach the inn, and Max forces Styles and I to stay in the corner of the room with our hoods up as he and Aaron get the rooms. During the whole time I glare at a weird yellowish stain on the wall, feeling Styles's eyes on me but not looking up in fear of my hood falling. I wouldn't have really minded if we were in a different setting, but the woman behind the desk was one of my mother's friends - before she was taken away by force, of course - and I really can't risk her seeing me. She surely would start asking many questions, being the old lovely lady she is, and it would do no good, since I also know for sure that she has a tendency to say a little bit too much to the wrong people.

"Got the rooms" Max mumbles coming our way together with Aaron. "Let's just move to the other room."

He leads us to the room that leads directly to the stairs to the upper floor, and stops us there.

"The rooms are two" he says looking at me apologetically.

"What?" I say trying to keep my voice low, but miserably failing.

Aaron rolls his eyes. "Shut up, Winters. It's safer like this. This way, you won't risk to get murdered without us knowing."

"Alright, whatever. How do we divide the rooms then?" I ask, annoyed.

"You and Styles, Aaron and I" Max says, causing another exasperated sound to come out of my lips.

"Why the hell me and Styles? What about he stays with one of you and the other stays with me?"

Max sighs. "Look at us, Miss Winters. We're very tall, and big. We can hide under a hood, but it's pretty clear to everyone that we are guards. If we were to sleep as you said, it would be weird, and generate many questions. Everyone would think we're defending the both of you. Like this, on the other hand, you and Harry can pass for two young lovers hiding from their parents or whatever peasants do these days, and Aaron and I can just look like friends having a day out."

"You have to be joking" I say, shocked, as Styles stands silently next to me, "Young lovers? What did you smoke? Are we also supposed to moan loudly and hit the damn walls to make people pretend that's what we are?!"