fifteen

Dove

"What the hell has just happened" I say once the steps fade away, "Are you sure you don't know him?"

"Never seen him before in my life" he replies, "Left or right?"

I close my eyes even though the darkness is almost total to remember better. "Left, I think."

The same small sound of before is heard, and a small light enlightens the tunnels.

"Let's go left, then" Styles says, and that we do. The road is very long, with no other side streets - as far as we can see in the dimly enlightened tunnel.

We walk for a few minutes following the flow of the tunnel, that seems to go more and more down, twirling in the insides of the ground.

"I'm sorry about your sister" I say faintly after a while, my words echoing all around us. "I didn't know."

"Nobody did. At least I know what happened now." It's his short reply.

"Yeah" I say, not knowing what to add.

He sighs. "You know, when it happened, I couldn't quite understand. How's it possible for someone to be here a second, and disappear the next? What's the purpose of it?"

"Maybe there's none at all. Things just happen" I reply looking down at my feet.

"I know. But it still feels like it's unfair" he whispers.

"Hardly a few things are fair in the world. It's just how it is" I say, silencing him for a few seconds.

"I guess so" he just replies.

"Are you gonna do as he said?" I ask him, and he turns his head to look at me frowning. "Never come back, I mean" I specify.

"Wintermore is my town" he simply replies, not adding anything else.

"You aren't forced to stay here just because you were born here" I tell him gently.

He gives me a weird look. "I have everything here. Why do you care?"

"You do have everything here. Also about half of the city wanting to murder you. Do you really think it'll stop here? If that's how it is, this place isn't for you anymore. They won't stop until Mr Styles will fall, and almost everyone seems to believe murdering you is the easiest way to do it. And let's just say that they managed to kill him before you, do you really think they'd let you live? You're his son, you will always be a danger to them" I tell him glancing down as we go down a set of stairs.

He says nothing, to the point I'd almost believe he hadn't heard me if my voice hadn't been the only sound in the tunnel. "I can't do it" he whispers after a while.

"Why not? Is there anything truly holding you back?" I ask him, and he stops to look at me.

"My father."

I sigh. "Do you really think your father would ever agree to go away? He wouldn't. There's a death threat casted right over his head, and there's nothing more you can do. This isn't your battle to fight, Harry. Your father destroyed the city, and now the city is rebelling to your father. You're right in the middle, he's a goner, and so are you if you stay there."

"What is it to you? Why do you want me to go away that bad?" He asks, looking at me suspiciously.

"I don't like you at all, but that doesn't mean I want you dead" I reply, and he purses his lips, in thought.

"Are you sure you dislike me?" He asks, a sly smile curving his lips, "Because to me it looks like you don't at all."

"If not wanting you to die is to you an indication that someone likes you, you have unbelievably low standards, love" I say, and he smirks.

"Maybe I just see right beyond your words" he says stepping closer to me.

I take a step back, just to realise that the other wall of the tunnel is right behind me. He puts one of his hands on the cold wall, a few inches away from my waist.

"What if I told you that I don't dislike you at all?" He whispers, "Would it make you say the truth?"

"I've already told you the truth" I say faintly, intimidated by the intimacy.

He puts his index under my chin and he lifts my head up, forcing me to look at him in the eyes. "But the thing is, I don't think you did." His breath hits my face as he leans in a bit, diminishing the space between us.

The intensity of the situation and of his faint perfume overwhelms my senses, and I don't move away when I feel the warmth of his hand on my waist. Without thinking I lean in, making our lips touch. As soon as the contact is formed he presses me against the wall, opening his mouth to let his tongue coax my lips open. My hands slide into his dark locks, pulling at them, eliciting a content hum from him.

"Wait" I murmur, "Hang on."

He does stop, but doesn't move away, his nose hiding into the crook of my neck as he waits for me to say something.

I look at the opposite wall, my chest heaving up and down, trying to find a good reason to refuse him. More like, an inch of me that wants to. "Fuck it" I mumble, turning my head to kiss him again when I realise there's none.

"I knew you couldn't resist me" he whispers in a soft breath against my ear.

"You are way too insistent, has anyone ever told you that?" I reply turning my head in his direction.

He chuckles. "They might've mentioned it once or twice, but I still get what I want."

"Not good, that's why you're a pretentious asshole."

He looks at my mouth. "Just shut the fuck up" he says before trapping my lips with his.

"You can't do that" I whine pushing against his chest lightly, "Be rude and then shut me up like this. It's not fair."

He lets out a soft grumble nuzzling my neck. "Do you like me?" He murmurs again, and I let out a defeated sigh.

"I don't know" I say truthfully, "Sometimes I hate you so much but then other times you act like this and I can't anymore. You confuse me."

He hums. "That's better than just hating me. I'll take it."

I groan leaning my head against the wall. "You're so confusing. You'll probably be an asshole again by tomorrow."

"I'm never an asshole, I just like to play" he whispers, and I give him a weird glance.

"Care to elaborate?"

"I like to bother you, it's fun" he admits. "Besides, you look cute when you're angry. Let's go now though, we're wasting time." He lets me go instantly and walks away, leaving me to stare at him, frowning.

His long legs and fast steps allow him to move faster, taking the light away with him, and I sigh, being forced to run after him not to be left alone.