Chapter 24 ~ One Final Adventure

The evening approached faster than I had expected. I knew that because when I woke up a few hours later, Hermione was gone and the streetlights were now lit outside. Groaning, I rubbed my temples, feeling even more tired and frustrated then I did a few hours ago.

What else was there to do now? Oh, right. Nothing, according to everyone else, it seemed like.

"Max?"

I jumped in my seat, managing to shout, "I'm in here!" The door opened, revealing to be Ginny. "Oh, hey. I was hoping you'd be my brother finally coming to his senses."

"One can only hope that scenario," she replied, chuckling a little. "But it has happened before, so maybe it'll happen again."

I let out a scoff. "Yeah, I don't know about this time, Gin." Sighing, I leaned back in my chair, staring at the ginger. "So, what do you want?"

"It's late, Max, and I think you should come home with Harry and I," she said.

"Okay, and why is that?"

She shot me a serious look. "Do you want to be alone right now?"

I bit my lip, shaking my head. "No, not really."

"That's what I thought. It's pretty late, anyway," she said. "It's almost midnight."

Midnight? I was really knocked out, then.

"Well, you do look really tired," she pointed out.

"Thanks," I added in a sarcastic tone, getting up from my chair. "Come on, let's go."

Once I turned the lights off and locked the door, Ginny and I walked towards the elevators in silence. I had no doubt in my mind that both of us had a lot to think about, one of those things being about Harry. The more I thought about him, the more irritated I was with him. Even as adults, we still bickered and argued as if we were teenagers again. It was beginning to get ridiculous, to be honest, and I bet everyone else felt the same way, too. I didn't blame them since they had been putting up with our shit for too long now.

Once we arrived at the Potter household, Harry was already there. "Hey," he said to us.

"Hey," Ginny and I responded in unison, shutting the door behind me.

"You got here quickly," I added.

"I left after Ginny went to go get you," he stated. "It's past midnight now."

"Yes, we can read the time, Harry," I retorted, rolling my eyes at him.

"Max, do you even know what day it is?" he asked me.

"Saturday?"

"Stop joking around. I'm being serious."

I huffed a sigh in annoyance. "Okay, what day is it, then?"

Harry swallowed hard, shooting me a serious and sad look. "It's Halloween."

My face fell, making me feel more guilty for being clueless and rude. I was so wrapped up with everything that was going on that I didn't even think about what day it was. Now I realized why Harry and Ginny wanted me to come over.

"Oh, Harry, I...I wasn't thinking..." I tried to apologize.

"It's fine," he assured me, though it didn't seem like it was fine. "We've been a bit preoccupied at the moment..."

"That's still no excuse to forget today," I told him.

Thirty-nine years ago, Voldemort murdered our parents and the Wizarding world was shaken. In that moment, our lives were forever changed and we didn't even realize it. Harry and I began to get together on Halloween after him and Ginny got married. It was the one day in the year where we sat down and mourned the anniversary of our parents' deaths. It was hard talking about it, even though it happened a long time ago, but it got a little bit easier every year. Of course, neither of us would be able to bring it up without having this aching feeling inside.