The First Chapter

"Where to, Miss?" The seemingly-polite taxi driver asks upon my arrival into the small cab.

I glance up at him and manage to force a small smile despite my current state of pure anger.

"Dolan Enterprise, please." My voice comes out small.

The taxi driver widens his eyes, obviously surprised by my desired destination, before returning a small smile and turning his focus to the road. I decide to ignore his gesture.

As we pull off the curb and onto the main road, entering the traffic, I begin to run through what I plan to say in my head for what feels like the thousandth time today.

"What did Eryn do to deserve being fired? She was a great intern."

No, too nice.

"What the hell did Eryn do to deserve being fired? She was the best intern you had!"

Still too nice. It's Ethan Dolan I'm going to be speaking to— he deserves the worst.

"Listen here, pal, I'm going to fuck you up-"

"So, what brings you to the Dolan Building? Applying for an internship?" The taxi driver interrupts my thoughts.

I shake out of my daze, trying to find the right words to reply.

"No, sir. Definitely not that." I stifle a laugh.

The taxi driver simply nods, gazing off into the distance.

I look out the window, admiring the large city before me. All of the large skyscrapers, billboards, congested sidewalks full of ambitious people... there really is nothing better than New York City. I've always loved it here.

I quickly find it hard to concentrate on the beautiful city as the Dolan Enterprise building slowly fills my view. One of the tallest buildings in New York, it's also easily the most intimidating. The modern, dark windows on all forty flights, the large, black doors with golden handles to enter the lobby... even the gigantic sign on the penthouse at the very top, which reads "DOLAN" in all bright golden letters. It's ridiculously try-hard if you ask me, but everyone else in this damn city seems to worship everything about it.

"Here we are, ma'am." The driver announces as we pull onto the side of the road.

The Dolan Building now only a block away, I suddenly become nervous. I think the driver notices as I hesitate to respond to him.

"Ma'am," he repeats, gaining my attention this time, "whatever you're here for... you can do it. Believe in yourself."

I take a deep breath, really taking his kind words in.

"Thank you, I really needed to hear that." I can tell from this entire experience that he doesn't get too many people requesting to be dropped off at the Dolan Building.

I reach into my small handbag, swiftly collect a twenty-dollar bill from my wallet, and hand it to the man. He nods his head at me, as if he's saying "thank you" and "you've got this" at the same time. I flash one last smile at him before finally collecting myself and stepping out of the taxi.

I join the crowd of people on the sidewalk, all in a rush to go various places. Attempting to blend in with the crowd, I keep my head hung low as I rush through the congested group of people. The Dolan Building is now only a few feet away, and I feel sick to my stomach.

After only a few more steps, I finally stand in front of the famous black doors with long, golden handles. I take a deep breath before glancing up at the "DOLAN" sign. I can't believe I'm doing this.