The Second Chapter

"I look fucking ridiculous in this blazer," I complain to Eryn as we both push through the early morning New York City sidewalk crowd.

She stifles a laugh, shaking her head.

"You'll get used to it." She responds, her soft voice breaking through.

Eryn has always been the bashful, hidden type. Her voice always comes out as almost a whisper and she's always been insecure about every little thing. I've been by her side since second grade to always lift her up, though.

She's also the biggest nerd I know, but she's my nerd.

"I still can't thank you enough for getting me this internship back, Elle. I can't believe you did this for me."

I smile at her, throwing my arm around her shoulder despite the tight blazer gripping my torso attempting to hold me back. I cringe when I remember I have to wear this thing on the regular, now.

"Of course, Eryn. I'd do it again if I could."

"Are you sure you're okay with this? I know how much you hated Ethan back in high school," she rambles.

I sigh, removing my arm from around her.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. How bad could being his assistant really be?"

She returns my smile, but hers is much more wide.

"The money won't hurt either, trust me." She adds, and we both giggle at each other.

Finally, after pushing through what seems to be an endless amount of pedestrians, we arrive at the incredible Dolan Enterprise building. Eryn and I shoot one last look at each other before making our way towards the grandiose front doors. And, much too soon, I am back at where I was the previous day, awkwardly pushing through familiar-looking business people and trotting over to the line behind the gigantic front desk.

"This line is ridiculous. What could all of these people possibly need at eight o'clock in the morning?" I complain to Eryn.

"This is Dolan Enterprise, Elle. It's always this busy."

"Yeah, I learned that the hard way yesterday." I roll my eyes.

I shift back and forth on my heels impatiently as Eryn and I wait.

And wait, and wait, and wait.

After what feels like forever, we finally reach the front desk, and Ms. Claudia greets us warmly.

"Good morning ladies! What could I do for you two today?" Her bright white teeth flash at us.

"We're supposed to meet with Mr. Dolan at eight," Eryn answers.

Ms. Claudia's face lights up.

"Oh, yes, of course. Eryn and Elle, correct?"

Eryn's eyes go a bit wide.

"Uh, yes ma'am. Yes." Eryn nods rapidly.

"Mr. Dolan is expecting you both. I'll let him know you're on your way up!"

"Thank you so much."

Eryn appears starstruck as we walk over to the elevators. I can tell she's holding back from freaking out and trying to maintain her composure.

"Ethan is expecting us? Do you know how huge that is, Elle?" She gawks, biting her lip.

"Not really."

Eryn scoffs at me as the elevator doors slide away from each other. We push past a pair of stern-looking men and enter the elevator. I then press the "40" button as I await Eryn's response.