Three

My forehead tensed as my eyes strained to read another stone.

"Sucks, doesn't it?" a voice suddenly said, making me jump.

I looked up to see a young guy standing near me. He wore dark jeans and a gray t-shirt. His dark hair was cut short on the sides and a bit too long in the front, causing a few pieces to hang in front of his blue eyes. With one hand, he brushed his hair back out of his face, only to have it fall right back again. His face had a slight tan. I looked down at my pasty legs.

Why was this gorgeous guy talking to me?

"Wh-what?" I asked, still startled.

"Funerals," he answered me. "They suck, huh?"

My eyes narrowed. He didn't look familiar. I wasn't sure if I should recognize him from school or not. He was incredibly good looking. I was sure I would have remembered a face like his.

"They suck?" I asked in surprise. "This cemetery isn't so bad. It's been around forever-" I didn't know why, but I was instantly defensive. It was, after all, my best friend's new resting place.

"No," he said. "I said funerals. Funerals suck. Cemeteries are fine. But, funerals..." his voice trailed off.

"Oh," I whispered. "Well, then yeah. Funerals pretty much suck."

He chuckled and looked at me. The wind picked up, causing my hair to blow across my face. I pushed it back with my hand.

"Leo," he said. I just stared at him. Waiting a minute, he continued, "and you are?"

"Everly," I answered.

We stood together, feeling the wind blow lightly.

"Nice to meet you," he said. "So, d-"

"Wait, I'm sorry," I interrupted and put my palms in the air to stop him. "Wait."

He stopped mid-sentence, his mouth still slightly open.

I looked to my right and then to my left and whispered, "Are you a ghost?"

He blinked, closed his mouth, chuckled and asked, "You're joking, right?"

I smirked at our shared expression and said, "Sorry to interrupt. Go on." I eyed him skeptically.

He smiled. "Uhhh, thanks. Okay, so I was gonna ask you d-"

I looked at my watch. I had been gone much too long. Remembering my parents were waiting for me, I said, "Time to go."

"Happens to everyone," he said, his arms stretched out as if to point to the graves around us, and smiled. I smiled back and then turned to ran away.

Turning towards the opposite direction as Leo, I ran down the hill. As I hit the gravel, my bare feet burned a bit on the hot ground. My parents were sitting inside the car, the windows rolled down and the radio playing softly.