Thirty Three

As I felt myself drift deeper into darkness, I kept saying Leo's name in my head. Leo, Leo, Leo....

"Everly!"

Someone was yelling my name. I could vaguely hear it; it sounded so far away. It wasn't Ariana, but I couldn't hear it well enough to recognize it. I went back to thinking of Leo.

"Come on! Wake up! Everly!"

I heard my name again. It interrupted my thoughts and was now slightly irritating. If I didn't answer, maybe they'd go away. Leo...

"Can you hear me? Please open your eyes! Everly, please!"

Seriously? I thought, my dream of Leo coming to an abrubt halt. Can't you take a hint? GO AWAY!

"Everly!"

Something brushed across my forehead. The weight that had been on my chest slowly seemed to be getting lighter. A hand stroked my face and I felt fresh air on my lips. I opened my mouth and gasped, air filling my lungs. I coughed and try to lift my head.

"Slow. Go slow."

I was wheezing, my eyes tearing as I gasped for breath again. I reached out to touch my face, but just felt handfuls of dirt. I coughed again. My chest hurt. Actually, my entire body ached. It felt like the room was spinning, yet I didn't even know where I was. Someone was helping me sit up and was rubbing my back. I brushed off my face and pushed my hair back.

"Breathe. Just breathe slowly, okay?"

Who is that?!

As soon as I had rubbed my eyes clean of debris, I opened them slowly. I blinked a few times and tried to focus. Sitting in front of me was someone who resembled Leo, a bright light shining down behind him.

I must be dead. This angel looks like Leo. Makes perfect sense.

"You're gorgeous," I told the angel. "You look exactly like the love of my life. No kidding, you both could be twins."

I coughed loudly again and the angel patted my back. I glanced up at him again.

"Take it easy," he told me. "I've got you."

This is one hot angel. I probably shouldn't think that! Is that a sin? Am I in Heaven? Will I get kicked out of Heaven if I think this angel is super sexy? Everly, stop! That's so inappropriate!

I was muttering to myself. The angel tilted his head and just stared at me. I concentrated on taking deep breaths without coughing.

"She killed me, didn't she?" I asked him. "She buried me alive in an empty grave so I would have to join her like I promised I would. Right? And now here I am. Is this Heaven?"

The angel ran his hand over my hair

"I thought I'd lost you," he whispered.

"Is she here? She must be. Huh...it's probably bad to say this, but honestly? I didn't expect her to end up, you know, here. Heaven? No way. I would've thought she had a one way ticket going straight downstairs, if you know what I mean." I tried to make a whistling sound as I pointed down, but choked again.