Chapter 10

It’s 7:18 pm. So far so good. I have to say, I was feeling kind of nervous while I was texting Vic to come over. I also told him that he could bring some of his friends over. I made it really clear to him that this is going to be a little get-together. By ‘little get-together’ I was expecting like, 4-6 people but of course, Vic brought about twelve other people. He arrived together with Mike, Tony, Jaime, Austin and Oli. After about 15 minutes though, Matt, Jordan, Alan, Jenna, Taylor, Jack and Alex came knocking on my door. I guess this is actually a pretty interesting mix of people.

I went straight to my apartment together with Hayley. On our way here, we went to a store to grab some cases of beer and food for tonight. Yeah, I was nervous to my bones but still excited. I’ve never had this kind of socializing get-together thing in a while. We’ve had a couple of these back then in my home town but it’s usually just us sitting in a circle, talking about the bible and God and what He wants us to be. I mean, I’m not complaining about that, I really enjoyed our little group sessions but I guess this specific get-together right here is interesting in a whole different sense.

“Hey.” Vic’s voice snapped me out from my little flashback.

“Hey, do you need anything? I could get you another beer. Let me just get it in-“

“Chill, Kells.” Vic stopped me from my ramblings as he laid a hand on my upper arm and rubbed it soothingly. “Just sit with us over there. We don’t need a server, okay?” He said that last part as he dragged me from the kitchen to the living room. My knees were a little bit wobbly now since I already had three bottles of beer. The bottle that I was holding is my fourth. I surely would be dead if Sam sees me like this. But I hope she would understand. It’s not like I drink this every day, right?

The first thing that I noticed when we entered the room is of course, the people that sat down on the floor, forming a circle. The three girls sat side by side, Jenna is in the middle of Hayley and Taylor. Alex sat next to Tay and Jack was next to him. The two guys looked so funny. They looked so drunk but they could still manage to bicker about something that surely only the two of them would understand. Austin sat next to Jack and next to him is Alan who looked so sleepy. He looked like he was doing a head bang thing because his eyelids already gave up on him. I noticed how Austin carefully shifted Alan’s head and made him lean to his shoulder. That made me smile. It’s amazing how affectionate this best friends are.  Next to Alan was Jordan, Matt and Oli. Vic decided to close the circle as he sat on the empty spot next to Oli and he yanked me down next to him. And so, on my left side was Mike, Tony and then Jaime.

9:18pm. Almost two hours had gone by since I sat in the circle. Most of us were just talking and laughing about anything under the sun. Alan has completely fallen asleep as Austin carried him to the sofa. Austin still manages to talk and laugh with us although Alan is peacefully sleeping with his ginger head resting on Austin’s lap. I was watching the two for a moment. I couldn’t help but to internally let out an ‘awww’ because of the obvious adorable sight. Austin has been playing with Alan’s hair soothingly. Every time the others would burst in to a huge wave of laughter causing Alan to stir up in his sleep, Austin would draw tiny, imaginary circles on his back as he carries on with playing with the boy’s hair. It’s too much for me to watch. They are too adorable. Their friendship is adorable.

“Here.” Vic sloppily handed me my sixth bottle for the night. I hesitated to grab the bottle from him but he flashed me a reassuring smile and for some unknown reasons, I gave in and willingly took it from him.

“Alright, alright. Who’s up for a little game called Spin the Bottle?” Jaime announced enthusiastically. Everyone cheered, agreeing to his little suggestion.