Chapter 41: Yippee

fun level 74 Original MC Sans and Frisk

Back in time (Almost Mid July)

Frisk opened her eyes slowly. She had no idea where she'd been or what time it was. She saw Sans lying right next to her. She noticed the color on the walls and sheets. Yep, her guest bedroom. How did they end up there? She closed her eyes again, not really wanting to think about it. It was obvious she was out of the Ruins and not going to get locked up. She was safe at home. And right now, that was good enough to her.

The next time she woke up, she felt hunger pains. Heard them too. As she started to move, she noticed Sans moving slightly.

"Awake finally?"

Ugh. "I'm . . ." He just looked at her curiously. "I'm sorry."

"Yeah. Should have waited. What's done is done though." He yawned. "Look, Frisk. Things got real messed up down there, and we're never using an encounter again. Toriel caught you, and I didn't have much choice. I faked my death down there. Only Alphys knows."

Faked his death? "Don't say that." No. "Don't say that you did that."

"I had to," Sans admitted. "You couldn't come through again, Tori would eventually suspect me, and I couldn't get you back over as easily undetected."

"I gathered what energy I could. I couldn't just stay in the Ruins my whole life, I just ran on automatic. And then, all my energy disappeared."

"Yeah. There were bumps along the way, but in the end, it's what I said before. You wouldn't want to move far."

"You faked your own death." Frisk lowered her eyes again, it was just too exhausting to keep them open. "I lost a good friend, without losing a good friend."

"Huh?"

Frisk sighed. "They predicted it. I would lose a good friend, without losing a good friend." She closed her eyes.

"The test?" He asked. "You're talking about the test?"

He wanted to know. He really deserved to know. There was no telling what else would be in store for him too. "I would lose myself, without losing myself. I would lose an old friend, without losing an old friend. I would lose my family, without losing my family. I would lose my love, without losing my love." It was only right. She had seen his most private memories after all. Somehow. Him and Papyrus, just walking over mile after mile, monster dust blowing in the air all around them. "I'm sorry."

"Me too. I saw your memories."

"You too?" So, did he know what the test had been then? "What did you see?"

"You're kidnapping. You?"

"Going into the mountain."

"Makes sense." Sans waved it off. "Better you than me. Monster memories, they don't . . . really span our own lifetime. Funny, huh? Live a long time, but, memory only goes back so far. I guess you could say I lose my marbles, but they're still rolling around somewhere." He eyed her. "You feeling okay?"

Odd question. "Tired and hungry."

"Besides that." He looked toward her tummy. "That wasn't there before."

"What wasn't what before?"

"You got magic in your tum-tum," Sans said. "If I hadn't known better, I'd say it feels . . ." He didn't finish. "Hm. What was that test you passed, Frisk?" Changing the strange subject. "I really gotta know."

"Well, I gotta know this too."

Frisk turned and saw Amanda. Oh no. "Oh. Hey." She came toward her. "Oh. This is um . . ." She gestured to Sans. "My special friend."