Chapter 70: The New Next Door Neighbor

RECKONING TALE

SEASON FIVE: THE NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR

 Fun Level 74: Original Sans and Frisk 

Determination. Frisk tried to concentrate as Sans was trying to teach her to lift stuff with her mind. She apparently had more monster pulled into her because of losing more of her soul. I can do this. This must be done. How do I refind the determination? It must have been easier before. She was running for her and her children's lives. That would definitely put some determination inside of her step.

Frisk remembered how she used to have such a shy soul, and how embarrassing it had felt when she couldn’t get her soul to come out without the Underground. Now, she missed that soul. It was more than just a fleeting feeling of ‘I miss when I had more guts’. It was . . . ‘I miss me.’

Frisk was Frisk. If she had her determination, she’d have the floating down by now. Sans wanted her to be a part of building the castle, but something like a slow hammer wasn’t needed. Her eyes darted toward her left.

Papyrus was laying in a piece of wood securely over the other, and as soon as it was lined up, Undyne threw four small spears at it, sealing it into place. Alphys was on the other side with her little computer, focused on the building area. Probably the infrastructure as a whole, making sure everyone was using their magic where they needed to.

Gaster was walking around, looking toward the sky. Probably figuring out how they would be able to control the area even better, so that no human could ever find them.

Useless. Frisk felt useless.

“You’re losing it again,” Sans said, holding her hand out in front of her. “Just gotta want it. Not hard. Stop paying attention to the distractions around you.”

He was right. Frisk was sabotaging herself. I’ve just got to work. Find a purpose for my determination to need to be there. She tried to lift the wood again. I can do this. Avoid the distraction around you. I am simply raising wood. Once I get the hang of it, I can be like the others. We’ll have a nice place to sleep tonight. Avoid rain. Keeping dry would be a good thing. If I lift this wood, it will lead to keeping dry.

“Frisk,” she heard beside again. “I love ya, but, come on. This isn’t hard.”

“Right.” Frisk stared at the wood. Put it all out of your mind. It’s just me and this wood. Hello wood, nice to meet you. My name is Frisk and I will be your worst nightmare by making you unnaturally float. That didn't sound right. Focus. Focus.

“That’s it?” Abe’s voice disrupted her as she lost focus and dropped the wood. Abe came next to her and laid down a stack of more wood. “Less than an inch, Frisk.”

“Uh, hey? Can the sibling rivalry right now,” Sans insisted as he raised a slab real quick to the house. Holding it’s position, he went ahead and hit it at it’s four corners. “We can try something else. That’ll hold a few minutes.” He sent some nails toward the corners of the wood. “Try and just push them in the wood, okay?”

Amanda laughed in the distance and Frisk rolled her eyes.

Then Sans laughed. “Oh right, yeah. What? I’m a monster, I don’t know no better.”

He couldn't even say that. What else was he going to use for the words though? Literally, she was nailing wood. Push in the wood. That’s it. Great, now she was giggling now. She tried to stop. “Sans, how much more of your monster did you put in me?” Frisk and Sans both chuckled. “I’m serious.”

“I was mediator, but you had two human souls. One complete, one a little. . . and mine,” Sans said. “So, even with my bits, Frisk, you’re still not completely there. But, yeah. You got a little more monster in you.”