Chapter 6: Only the Good Die Young

"Howard I swear one day you're going to settle down with a girl and stop with this childish act of yours." Jacqueline says walking through the camp with Howard as he cat calls yet another nurse.

"No way," Howard laughs. "But if I do I'll name my firstborn's middle name after you."

"I'll take that bet," Jacqueline smiles.

Despite Jacqueline feeling better she still wasn't aloud to go on any missions. She found herself spending more time with Howard. Most times they would work on developing new weapons to help win the war. But sometimes they would just hang out to talk. Howard was nice company although his ego sometimes got the better of him, which resulted in Jacqueline slapping him.

Howard and Jacqueline were walking around the base when they met Peggy and Steve. Jacqueline's joking manner disappeared and was replaced with worry. "Where's Bucky?"

Peggy and Steve share a look before Peggy grabs Howard by the arm dragging him away.

"Steve what is it? Where's Bucky?" Jacqueline demands.

"Let's take a walk," Steve says putting his arm over her shoulder.

The walk in silence for a bit, Jacqueline's worry only growing. Steve hadn't said anything yet and the suspense was killing her.

"Jackie. Bucky and I went on a mission and... Jackie I'm sorry but ... Bucky didn't make it."

"No," Jacqueline says pushing her brother away, "You're lying. Bucky's not dead."

Jacqueline looks at her brother, tears in her eyes, internally pleading that Steve's joking. That this is all just some cruel prank and Bucky will pop out and sweep her off her feet. But looking at her brother, his face close to tears she knows it's not the case.

"I'm sorry Jackie." Steve states.

Jacqueline claps her hand over her mouth and cries, "Oh god Steve. He's dead."

She collapses to the ground and Steve rushes to his weeping sister's side

She collapses to the ground and Steve rushes to his weeping sister's side. He holds her as she sobs and and yells. Her heart feels like it's splitting into two and the pain is unbearable. Steve attempts to soothe her by smoothing her hair and hugging her close.

"If it makes you feel any better he truly loved you." Steve states.

"I know," Jacqueline sniffs, "Why are you telling me this?"

"Because you're hurting and I thought I would try and make you feel better. He was going to give you this when he came back." Steve shuffles around and pulls something out of his pocket. He swallows and gives it to his sister.

She gasps and takes it in her hands. She wipes away her tears examining the ring. "When was he going to give it to me?"

 "When was he going to give it to me?"