Chapter 8: The Last Standing

It had been a long time since the war, 46 years actually, and Jacqueline was going to turn 71 in a week but she sure as hell didn't show it. Tony was 21 now and people began to think Jacqueline was his sister or girlfriend rather then his Aunt. She continued her work with S.H.I.E.L.D as a field agent going on missions, she was one of the best and achieved the same level of respect and trust as Peggy. Peggy was now running the organization while Jacqueline was one of her right hand agents with level 9 clearance. When she wasn't on a mission she was with Howard inventing things and letting him study her blood and DNA in hopes that he could replicate the super soldier serum.

The morning started off with Jacqueline sitting in her dingy, but cozy, apartment in Brooklyn sipping her coffee. On numerous occasions Howard afford to buy her a more lavish apartment even closer to him but each time he was turned down, with her claiming she liked the coziness. As she sat basking in the bitterness of the December morning her eyes landed on the front page of the newspaper.

Her coffee mug clatters to the ground as she grabs her coat rushing out the door without a second thought. She quickly whistles for a cab and gets in the first one that pulls up. Quickly she tells the driver to take her to the Stark residence.

The cab barley stops moving as Jacqueline gets out of the car running to the building, not bothering to wait for the elevator she runs up the stairs, The super soldier reaches the penthouse and sees a sullen Tony sprawled out on the couch, a half drunk whisky glass in hand .

"Oh Tony," Jacqueline sighs, her heart breaking at the sight of his blood shot eyes.

A dazed Tony sits up and says in a raspy voice, "Oh hey Aunt Jack, I didn't see you

A dazed Tony sits up and says in a raspy voice, "Oh hey Aunt Jack, I didn't see you."

Jacqueline tuts and sits next to the drunk Stark. She smooths out his hair and in a low voice asks, "Why didn't you call me?"

"I was going to but it's late and I didn't want to wake you."

"Tony it's 10 in the morning. It's the next day and no matter what time it is you can always call me and I'll be there."

"It's really the next day?"

Jacqueline nods sadly, "Yeah it is. How about you shower and I'll make you some breakfast."

Tony nods like a child and shuffles upstairs. Jacqueline sighs ,feeling sorry for the boy, and makes her way to the kitchen. Cleaning up the empty whisky glass and bottle as well.  

Jacqueline begins making Tony a big breakfast with eggs, bacon, and toast hoping that it will absorb some of the alcohol in his empty stomach. Moments later Tony stumbles down in sweatpants and sweatshirt, his hair still wet. He slides in the seat across from his aunt and slowly begins to eat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was the routine for the next 4 days, Tony not doing anything but drown himself in whiskey while Jacqueline made sure he didn't starve himself. Taking care of Tony was Jacqueline's way of coping with the loss of her friends. In a way she was in denial too, taking care of Tony like Howard and Maria where on a vacation and that they'd be home soon, instead of being dead. Jacqueline didn't want to admit that her friends were dead because that would mean that she was truly alone, sure Peggy was still around but the red haired agent moved back to London, as her health was declining. It sadden Jacqueline greatly to admit that she was the only one from her life left, and that she had no one else who shared her life experiences.