Communications From Germany

Time goes by faster the older you get. Or, that’s what they say, anyway. For me, time goes so incredibly slow. It goes so unbelievably slow and yet, I can’t change the outcome of what happens when each second passes. It’s often crossed my mind what you could do if you could pause time, rewind time, fast forward, maybe. You could save lives. You could kill. Two extremities and each contrast each other.

This is kind of similar to the Host Club, now that I glance around the room from a distance. In one corner there are the twins. These two ginger-haired, devilish pranksters may appear to be the same but, in actual cases, they’re not. In another corner are the cousins Honey-senpai and Mori-senpai. Honey; the loveable, chatty one whose love for cake makes the eighteen year old so adorable you want him to be your younger brother. Mori; the quiet, protective one who you want to be your older brother…There are so many contrasts in the Club, that after this long, I’m starting to question how such a Club can actually function. Especially without having a figure of authority, as such.

It’s been three months since Kyouya announced him leaving and at least 10 weeks since he left. Tamaki has been more emotional, obviously missing his best friend. He hides it from the Guests well but Haruhi reassures him after the Club. Mori and Honey have been left in charge of the Club’s financing; Honey because of the fact that he’s the best at mathematics now and Mori to ensure that the entire budget isn’t spent entirely on cake and other sweet things. The twins, however, have kept their personalities up to scratch to maintain some sense of normality. For myself, I don’t feel the same either. It’s a weird feeling, really. After all, Kyouya had been the one who introduced me to everyone. He could act serious, but he dropped in a couple of sly jokes every now and again too. He came up with the idea of showing Haruhi’s true gender too; a part of him was concerned about everyone’s problems, that much was true. But, for the short time that I knew him, I felt as if he struggled with his own and he wasn’t going to admit it. But what does it matter now? It’s been ten weeks since he departed for Germany and I haven’t heard a word from him since.

I normally looked on and observed the Club from a distance. Sometimes a cheery voice would call me and offer me cake, other times I had two arms wrapped around my shoulders as two pairs of eyes looked over my shoulder at was I was doing. I went there because they were my friends. I wasn’t interested in the whole Hosting business. It was the only time I could spend time with some of them. The oldest, Mori and Honey were due to leave this year and everyone wanted to have as many memories as we could with them –it was a pact that everyone had made. Only person had – although indirectly – broke that promise.

Germany was different. Personally, I appreciated the architecture – the pale coloured buildings on the boulevards made a nice change to the darker houses I was used to in Japan – but the culture was completely different. The language barrier wasn’t that much of a bother; I didn’t speak much to anyone other than my family and the business partners my father had become acquainted to. I now spent the majority of my time sat beside a tree in the grounds of the Reichstag, a building I had learnt so much about in History classes, with my usual black binder. I had left my old paperwork for the Club back in Music Room #3, but in this binder, amongst the blank pages, now were photographs of my time at Ouran, the most recent of myself and Akimi – the new girl with an all rounded personality; intelligent, funny, independent. I sighed quietly as I turned over the page, before writing down my to-do list for the day. I had wanted to get to know this girl much better than I did. But now, all I could do is hope that my plan worked.

This particular day, I had had enough of the whole thing. Customers were coming in as normal. The majority didn’t acknowledge everything around them, all of them focused on the Host they were the closest to. Their high pitched voices rang through my ears repeatedly. My eye twitched. Everything they were saying, everything they were doing was annoying me and I didn’t have a specific reason. The swooning of the Guests had triggered a nauseating feeling in my stomach. I wanted to get out of there as soon as I could. And I did. As soon as the bells from the clock tower outside struck the hour and the twins opened the door to allow the Guests out and wishing them goodbye, I sneakily pushed my way through – my cheeks were bright red, my eyes narrowed as a lion eyeing up its prey. My stride was lengthy; I walked in a direct straight line, my fists clenched together. Mumbles may have escaped from my mouth occasionally, but I didn’t care.

As soon as I got to my locker, I unclenched my fists and frantically adjusted the lock attached to it in order to open it. After the third attempt, the door of my locker was able to swing open and I retrieved all of my books from it, placing them into my bag, sighing with each movement. I could feel a cold glare watching me, but I chose to ignore it, for I knew who it was and my current mood wasn’t appropriate for me to talk to them without, most likely, insulting them. One last heavy exhale, I began to lock my locker once more and walk out of the locker room on my way home, when I was interrupted.

“Akimi-san.”

“…Ayankoji.”

“I can’t believe you were going to leave without this.” At her statement, I turned around, clueless and appearing to be dumbfounded.

“Excuse me?”

“This.” She held up a piece of plain, white paper, which had been scrunched up. My head tilted slightly as I looked at it from even this distance, before cautiously walking towards her. “It fell from your locker.”

I took the paper, looking down at it and nodded as I answered, “Thank you.” I turned back as my vision focused on the paper, the World around me turning into a blur and causing me to not hear Ayankoji’s next words. I continued to walk for a while in silence. At one point, I paused in my steps and looked around me. I was stood in one of the many corridors leading to the courtyard. It was unusual for me to dawdle to this part of the school, but it was bizarre to this particular corridor so empty. Swallowing, I looked back down at the paper and began to slowly unravel it, being cautious not to rip it…

I glanced at the nearest clock face to me as I heard some nearby bells chime to signify the passing of the hour. Mentally converting the time in Germany into the seven hours ahead of time that Japan was in, I smirked slightly, before sending a quick email to one of the Hosts online. I needed Tamaki to do what I needed him to do and I needed a reaction – who else was better to contact than the trustworthy, silent Takashi Morinozuka?

Their eyes were wide, even if it was just slightly, and they didn’t say a word. I was standing in front of the five Hosts which were the suspects of this. (Admittedly, I had ruled out Haruhi.) My lips formed into a frown and I glance alternatively at the five males in front of me. It didn’t help the atmosphere that I also kept silent. Haruhi was the one to break the silence, watching from the side, clearing her throat.

“So- you went to your locker and a screwed up piece of paper fell out of it?” she questioned. I simply nodded once. “Then, someone must have gotten into your locker… That is impossible, unless they know your passcode.”

“Yet, I haven’t told any my passcode!”

“Then, how can you bla-”

“Haruhi! Any of these five could have done it! The twins? They’re always up to something. Loitering around everyone’s shoulders. Mori-senpai? He’s practically silent! He doesn’t give anything away.” As I spoke, he was still stoic as ever. “And Honey? He’s a mathematical genius! He could easily figure it out! And- do I even have to give a reason for Tamaki? His father is the Principal, for crying out loud!”

“That doesn’t mean I-” he began, but I interrupted him before he could say anymore.

“Shut. Up.” My eyes closed as I sighed heavily. I took a moment to embrace the silence, before opening them again as I shook my head. “No. I’ve had enough of this. I want no more notes, no more… “Queen” and I am definitely not coming back to the Host Club!” I may have gone a little too far, but right then? I didn’t care, nor did I acknowledge that. Tamaki looked offended, his eyes wide with shock whilst Honey clung onto Mori. The silence was all I needed, for I then walked out, picking up my satchel as I did. I couldn’t wait to get out of the school and, once I did, I hid around the corner. I just needed time, space… I needed normality.

It took the right of time that I had predicted, if not a little less, for Takashi to reply. Feeling my phone vibrate to notify me, I quickly read it, but didn’t reply. I would wait until I had a break to do that. By his short message, I could tell that she didn’t react in the most positive of ways and I was already thinking of Plan B…