Drowning

Anna

I watched in wonder as Mommy started a fire. Fire is warm and pretty. I like fire. I wanted to touch it, but Mommy wouldn't let me.

Mommy made an angry noise and frowned. "Darn it! I can't get the fire to start!"

I hugged her leg. "Why is Mommy angry?" I asked.

"Because the kindle for the fire is too wet, little bird," she sighed. "I'll have to wait a while until I can start it. In the meantime, I better set up camp." She talked quietly to herself and unpacked our stuff.

I ran over to her and picked up one of the big sticks she uses to make the tent. "I help!"

Mommy laughed and patted my head. "I can handle this, sweetie. Why don't you pick up the rocks that are in camp?"

I nodded and smiled. "OK!" I dropped the stick and dropped to the ground to pick up the rocks.

I was good at picking up rocks. I was the best rock picker upper ever. I carried as many rocks as I could and then I put them in a pile. Then I went to find more rocks.

As I picked up a really shiny rock, I looked up and saw this big thing of moving water. "Ooooh..." I crawled on top of a big rock to look at it. I could see so much from here! I walked forward a bit, but there was no more rock. I fell into the moving water.

I tried standing up, but the water wouldn't let me. It pulled and pushed me around. I couldn't breathe. I tried moving my arms and legs, but nothing happened. Where's Mommy?! Where does the water want to take me?!

Just then, I felt someone grab onto the back of my shirt and they lifted me up. Mommy hugged me tight and cried. "Oh, gods...why did I allow myself to let you out of my sight...?"

I felt tired. "Mommy...?" I coughed and water came out.

"Are you ok?!"

I nodded and hugged her neck. "I hurt..."

Mommy began to walk. "You're alright. I promise. Everything is going to be ok..."

...

I was curled up in Mommy's lap, trying not to fall asleep. She ran her hand through my hair. It tickled. I liked it.

"Never go where I can't see you again, ok?" she said.

I yawned and nodded. "Ok, Mommy. I'm sorry for scaring you."

"It's ok, pumpkin," she sighed. "I just don't want you getting hurt. You're my everything. I don't know what I would do if I lost you."

"Are you mad at me?"

"Gods, no!" she exclaimed. "I could never be mad at you! Just please promise me you'll never wander off again."

I yawned once more and closed my eyes. "Ok, Mommy... I promise. I love you..."

"I love you too, Anna."

*****

And now we're in Anna's POV! I don't know if I'll occasionally switch from her to Evelina, but I think I'm going to stick with Anna from now on. Alright, I have an announcement to make. I won't be uploading anything next week because my life is super stressful right now and I don't have that much time to write. I have a billion activities going on and finding writing time is hard. I promise that things will calm down, soon. I just need to know that everything I need done in February is done because that will take so much weight off my shoulders. Don't worry, I'll be back the following week. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!

Currently listening to: Relaxing Studio Ghibli music