Brewing Trouble

Chrom
10 Months Later...

"Hya!"

My blade sang against Sully's, the force causing me to leap to the side.

The red-headed knight jumped back, readying her sword for more. "That all you got?" she panted.

I wiped a bead of sweat off my forehead. "I'm just warming up!"

"That's what I like to hear!"

We continued our dance of swords for what felt like hours. However, we soon stopped at a stalemate. "I...I think that's enough for today," Sully said, thoroughly out of breath.

I nodded, in the same state as her. "Y-yeah. Gods, when did our sparing matches get so intense?" I reached for a jug of water as we sat down.

Sully shrugged. "Dunno. Maybe the increase in our training has something to do with it?"

I passed the jug of water to her. "Yeah, maybe," I sighed. "I swear, Frederick will never tire."

"I'd like to see him train my friend Stahl. He'd probably see it as an honor to be yelled at by the Legendary Frederick."

"Don't wish those things upon your friends if you truly care about them."

Sully barked a laugh. "True, true." She eyed the practice sword at my feet. "Hey, Chrom? Can I ask you somewhat of a personal question?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Oh? Sure."

"How come I've never seen you with the Falchion?"

My heart stopped at the sound of Ylisse's legendary blade. "...Pardon?" My words were caught in my throat.

"Well, you're 16, now," she started. "I would have thought that you would be wielding it by now."

I began to fidget with my hands. "W-well, I've never talked to Emm about having it," I said. "The last time I even saw it was almost 12 years ago when it was presented to us after Father died. My guess is that Emm hid it away for safe keeping."

She nudged my side. "Why you getting so nervous?" she asked.

I released a shuttering breath. "I-I'm not really sure," I shrugged. "Maybe the thought of wielding it scares me because of the pressure that comes with it."

"Maybe," she sighed, "but it's your sword."

"What are you talking about?"

Sully looked off into the distance. "...I'm sure you've heard about the troubles we're having with Plegian brigands," she said. "They always poked at the borders in the past, but it's becoming more and more common. It has gotten to the point where our head-commander is considering setting up special parties just to deal with the Plegians."

Bile rose to my throat. "You...you don't think they want another war?"

The red-head focused her gaze on the ground. "I'm not sure. It looks like King Gangrel is trying to provoke us, though." Her fists tightened. "But that is not my point. My point, Chrom, is that the Ylissean people need hope."

"But Emm give them enough hope-"

"Hope that we will be defended." Sully's voice was matter-of-fact and serious. She finally turned her gaze to me. "If they see their prince wielding the legendary blade of his ancestors, then that will be the beacon of hope they need."

How could I even think about using Falchion! I haven't even thought of it up until now. Plus, it took Emm forever to allow me to train, what makes me think that she'll just give it to me if I asked? Besides, that blade and I have a past...

"My father used that sword to kill hundreds, Sully. I don't really think it will radiate hope to my people," I frowned.

My friend was having none of this. "The man who wielded it took away that hope," she growled. "I can promise you that Falchion has nothing to do with it. And so what? Who cares what your father did with it? He used that blade to make others suffer, you will use it to bring peace."

Her words rang in me like a bell.

The prince with his father's soul but mother's heart...

Father fought for selfishness, I fight to protect the ones I love.

The sword that belonged to my ancestor: the Hero King. The blade of light that will cast away all evils. 

It has been in slumber for all these years. To rest itself from the sins of my Father. It is time the blade awoke to protect its land and people.

Falchion has been mine since the day of my birth. It is time for me to claim it.

At that moment, as if Mother was with me - guiding me - I made my decision. Her strong heart banishing the remains of my father.

"...I will claim Falchion."

Sully slapped me on the back. "That's the Chrom I know," she laughed. "The soldiers call you the Golden-Hearted Flame, you know?"

"Really?"

"Really," she smiled. "Your kindness reaches everyone you grace and everyone knows that. However, you have that fire that shows that you won't hesitate to fight and defend those of which you love. You're strong-willed."

My face flushed in embarrassment. "I-I see." The Golden-Hearted Flame? Gods, what a nickname. I'm honored, but I don't really think I want that to spread. Sure, I have the traits of my parents, but I have made them my own. No titles or birthright can determine that.

I am me.

I am Chrom.

*****

Hello. I cannot express how tired I am right now. Mentally and physically. It has nothing to do with writing or anything Wattpad related, but just my life outside of it. For those of you who don't know, I'm doing tech for the school play and it is extremely draining on me. All of my time is being sucked up by it so I am so very sorry if I can't reply to things. Another thing, I will not be updating BA next week due to my lack of time to write. I am so so so so so so sorry. Next week will be an easy week for me so I'll be able to write more, but I just need some extra time to sort everything out. Once again, I'm so sorry. I know I'm disappointing you all and I can't express really how sorry I am. Thank you so much for your support, it means the world to me. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more.