Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Former Authoress: Primsgirl89 (You can find her on FF.net too!)

Beater/Reviser & New Authoress: Kartara (You can find me on FF.net too.)

Quick note: I, Kartara, adopted this series form Primsgirl89 and began to write for it. Prim and I both agreed that it'd be best if I edited the past chapters (Chapters 1 – 6) in my own style and upload it as my own fan-fiction to avoid copyright. Credit for the original story plot and development should go to her for these lovely chapters!

When nightfall came, Shirayuki and Obi went to the gardens to get to know each other better. He was sure most other knights would probably just watch over the person they were order to guard and not try to get to know the person more, but he wouldn't do that because it seemed that only he was going to be guarding Shirayuki. They sat by on a shared bench, watching how the aqueducts moderately watered the plants. Midnight was chewing on some catnip that was planted there some time ago.

He looked over at Shirayuki and saw that she was looking up at the ceiling. What is she looking at?

He looked up, hoping to see what she was looking at. He saw that the greenhouse had a clear view of the starry night sky. The stars twinkled in the same way the moon reflects off the ocean; absolutely breath-taking as they glittered and gleamed. He couldn't help but give a soft smile. Almost instantly, his body soon became relaxed. He decided to tell her something he had ever only told another person. Well, she and I were friends when it happened, but I trust Shirayuki a lot.

"I remember being trained by my parents to fight and protect. But then I went down the wrong path. I don't remember why I did. I just remember feeling like my talent would go to waste if I didn't use them to help people in some way," He admitted quietly to her. He knew she was watching him as he spoke, but she never interrupted. She just sat there. "I don't really know what my path is, but I am just going to let it choose whatever fate decides for me. I decided that ever since my first friend left me. She and I trained together for a long time, both of us evenly matched in skill."

She was silent for a long while. Her eyes were clouded in a thoughtful way. She then played with her hair as she looked at him with a kind smile on her face. Her eyes showed wisdom most people won't think possible. "Obi?"

He directed his attention at her, then at Midnight as she laid in between both his and Shirayuki's feet. He looked back at her, waiting for her to reply.

"Do you know what the colour red means?" She asked. I looked at her hair as she fingered it for a moment with a small smile.

"I'm sorry to say I don't," He replied with a relaxed smirk. She looked at him as her hand reached for the bandana he hid in his jacket. His eyes widen slightly. No one should have seen that. How could she? "Miss?"

"Zen had told me that red is the colour that represents fate. He's the one who helped me see that my paths aren't chosen for me and that I can choose what fate and path I want. I'm on the road I choose, the path I choose, in the city I choose." She smiled as she removed her hand from his bandana. "So long as you believe that you can choose your own path, your fate is a good one. Just remember to allow the right people to come with you."

His chest was burning with this weird flame that was just lit up. It's hot, but it's still so small. It doesn't burn, but it comforts him like a candlelight's flame. He smiled at her and looked back up at the starry sky that now looked like a whole new sky with the feeling that his eyes have finally been opened. The stars were shining brighter and they were singing a soft, soothing tune to his heart that no other could make possible.

Except for Shirayuki.

"I'm glad I have you with me then," Obi admitted without realising it. She looked at him wide-eyed. She seemed like the type not many people would say something like that to, but he knew that wasn't true. From what he had seen from today, everyone—save for that old man that hired him to harm this girl—was proud that they had her in their lives; especially Prince Zen. He believed that Zen loved her as a husband would his wife, just by the way that he gazed warmly at her. It was only a matter of time before she realised it.

He didn't think it's the same with Shirayuki, though. He saw how she looked at Zen and everyone as if they were her only family. He also remembered that Shirayuki had a lot of admirers, but she didn't give them that kind of feeling back. She seems like she is so... isolated. Admired by everyone for her quick virtuosity, but, like a goddess, too adored to ever make a true friend. She just never seemed to give much thought about herself at all, completely unaware of her effect on other people. She just carries on her day like any normal person, unassuming.

Just like a girl I met as a child.

Come to think of it, that girl also had red hair, but her eyes were a darker shade of green. Her eyes were so dark and lonely that he had to give her a hug. She had been so shocked when he did that she fell. She and he would meet up every day after he had his lessons in fighting. He remembered she asked him to teach her how to fight.

He told her to come here every morning at dawn so he could bring her along her classes so she can learn. She learned really fast. By the time a year had passed, she was at his skill level. We were evenly matched. He didn't even know how she was able to learn that fast, either. He just appreciated that his only true friend was there for him and wanted to learn with him. All his other "friends" ran away, saying he was a monster like his parents. That really hurt him and made him learn to put on a mask no one can see through. He became a discourteous teaser and made anything that wasn't important seem like a game.

Obi asked why she wanted to learn on his birthday. The answer he got wasn't what he was expecting. Because it will bring me closer to my first friend and my first crush!

Her smile was wide, but her eyes still remained dark, but not as dark as what they were the time we had first met. Her eyes were a light forest green colour. He smiled and hugged her for the first—and last—time that day.

"Thank you," Shirayuki said as she brought her hands up to her heart. He nodded with his easy-going smile. "Oh, I saw how you fought earlier, and I was hoping you and I could spar sometime."

The former assassin chuckled gently. "I won't go easy. You will need to learn from the Master to be as good as me."

She smirked. "I was taught by my first friend's family, so I am sure I can handle myself. Though I am really rusty."

His eyes widened again. "Who was your friends name?"

She looked at him with these glowing and sparkling eyes. Her eyes slowly closed as she leaned forward and pressed a kiss to his cheek. He was so still, having not dared to even move.

"That's a story for another day. For now, I think it's time we head back into the castle," She murmured softly.

Nodding, he got up and turned to look at her to see she was gone. "Wha...?" Soon, he felt something light land on his back.

"Giddy up, my trusty knight," She laughed. Groaning, he held just underneath her thighs to make sure she wouldn't fall. He ran as fast as he was able to, which was an estimated nine miles per hour. He heard her laughing and smiled. I just hope this isn't going to be a regular occurrence.

"You know you're not nice, right?" He tried to deadpan, but as she smiled, he found himself doing it too. Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw everyone seemingly amused by what was going on.

"And yes, I am your trusty knight. And don't you forget it," He said with a smile on his face. He saw her blush and futilely looked away.

"Quit fooling around..."