-11-

To all the girls who need it,

It's going to hurt when they leave you,
It's going to hurt when you see them with someone else.

It's going to hurt when you see that new person and realize that they're half your size. You will recall all the moments when the hands of the one you still love, ran across the contours of your body; mapping out each peak and valley with caution and care. You will think back to the first time they saw you naked. Plagued by insecurities, you begged them to make love to you for the first time with the lights off; scared of the magnificence that this is your own body. You met them in the middle and dimmed the lights. An earthly glow covered the room and it felt as if the two of you were the beginning of creation. You will think that your body is a design flaw. You will believe all of the negative thoughts that you once believed to be true.

Darling, your body is a work of art. It's a mosaic of all of that you are, but it does not define who you will be. Your body is strong and entirely capable of giving and obtaining love again, but only when you're ready.

It's going to hurt when they leave you.
It's going to hurt when you try and seek closure.

It's going to hurt when you don't get the answer your heart is searching for. You have acted out the encounter in your head hundreds of times, practicing what you will say. In your mind, they're sorry. In your mind, they're miserable with regret and are burdened with the guilt of ever hurting you. In your mind, it's still you that they desire. Your mind races with "what if's." Remember to be kind to yourself. Don't torture yourself with the possibilities of the past. Remember to be careful with reopening doors that have been bolted shut. Sometimes, closure isn't what you need, it's what you want. There's always a danger in reopening wounds, but that doesn't mean you never do it.

Seek peace. It often lies in the confines of things we never think to look at. Don't entertain happiness. Happiness is only temporary, fleeting. Instead seek joy. Take your time and learn to delight in life again...