Kinds of Partial Consciousness

• On long car rides late at night when you finally exit the freeway and you slow to a gentle stop. The lost momentum stirs you, and your eyes are open just enough to see the car bathed in the red light. Your eyes are more comfortable when they're closed, and the warm air blowing from the vents incites you to slip under completely.

   • The early morning when you realize that you still have an hour or two to sleep. You turn to get more comfortable and feel the warm space where you used to be. You sigh deeply, and for a moment you think you get a whiff of what your house smells like. You pull your sheets higher and feel your body relax.

   • The teacher is lecturing, and you feel your legs grow heavy. Your blinks become longer until it's more work to open your eyes than you're willing to put in. You hear words, but you're not listening to the lecture. A sharp jolt to your system, and your head bobs involuntarily.

   • You're an inch away from falling asleep when a distant flash lights your eyelids. Your breathing stays at the same rate, but your heart hums along with the deep blanket of thunder, and you're made aware once more of the steady heat of rain on the window.