Chapter 21, Part 2: Adrian

"Stay put," Varnell ordered, pointing to Adrian and the other recruits.

Varnell marched forward and met Gerald nearly a hundred feet away from them. Adrian watched as she stopped him there. They talk hurriedly, in hushed tones, and judging by Gerald's expression, the conversation was tense.

Farah stopped beside Adrian, and said, "that's odd."

"What is?" Adrian asked.

"Have you ever known Varnell to have private conversations?" Farah asked, and Adrian tried to think of a single time in their ten weeks of training when Varnell deliberately removed someone to avoid being overheard.

The conversation was clearly heated. Gerald's pointing was nearly manic, as he gestured towards the unfinished wall. Varnell's hand was resting on the pommel of her sword, and her expression was murderously angry.

The conversation ended with a sharp wave of her arm, as she pointed towards the unfinished fortifications. Gerald saluted and dashed off towards the last wall.

Varnell returned to the others and passed by Adrian as she marched directly towards Colonel Tammerlane.

"Colonel! Take them to the next wall. Immediately!"

"Sergeant, in case-" Benden began to say, but he was cut off by Varnell's angry glare.

"The Last Wall just went dark," Varnell said. "This is no accident. I've been worried about this event ever since Redgrave talked about something a reporter brought to him, a few weeks ago. Cavilla left with a crafter, and I suspect that crafter destroyed the stairs to the Causeway. This is an assassination attempt, and I believe you are the target."

"I see," Benden said, nodding.

"So you need to go with these dignitaries and get to the next wall. I'll take my people, and try to reverse whatever's cut-off the fire," Varnell explained. "If you die, she accomplished her goal."

Benden, impressively, didn't argue. "Agreed. Do what you can, I'll send for a company as soon as I reach a comm station."

"Don't you dare die, sir. The City needs you," Varnell said, saluting.

Benden returned the salute, before he unbuckled his sword belt, and handed it to Varnell. "You said she has a crafter. Take this, in case you need it."

Varnell took the sword and stuffed it under her arm. "Thank you, sir."

"To live is to burn," Benden Tammerlane said.

"May the City burn forever," Varnell replied.

Benden turned away and started to match for the next wall, and the mob of dignitaries fell into step behind him.

"Soldiers!" Varnell shouted, and the other recruits gathered close to Varnell. They stood at rapt attention, and like Adrian, waited silently.

"The torches along the Last Wall, particularly the unfinished section to the east, have gone dark," Varnell explained. "I believe this is an attempt to assassinate Colonel Tammerlane. The dignitaries will march to the next wall while we proceed to the outflow controls at the end of the causeway."

Varnell then paused and took a deep breath. "Arm up. Stuff your ammo pouches full, and load your weapons. Respelli, take this."

Varnell then extended the Colonel's sword towards her. Nervously, Respelli extended her hand and took the weapon in both of her hands, examining the heft.

Tammerlane's sword was slightly longer than the standard short-sword, with a simple cross-guard, and a steel hoop for a pommel, with four bars running through it.