Chapter 24, Part 2: Adrian

"We need a plan!" Farah whispered, just loud enough for the small circle of people who had gathered around Sergeant Varnell to hear. The group was only six people, including Adrian and Farah, and anything said was spoken in near silence.

"You don't plan to fight a crafter," came the immediate response from Elliot. "You all know the stories."

"They die. Like anyone else."

"No, they don't. They blast apart fields full of Gloamtaken and topple Golems. You know what they call people who fight crafters?" Elliot asked.

"Shadows?" Farah asked.

"Hot ash," Elliot replied. "Hot ash."

"Ma'am?" Adrian asked.

The group fell silent, as every eye fell on the sergeant.

"I've seen crafters at work before," Sergeant Varnell said, her eyes distant and unfocused. "Not just crafters. Heroes among them. I sent Olivia Polden to hold the wall before the Foundry during the Fifth. I marched with Bernard Umver as he burned Whistlewood hill of an army of Gloamtaken so numerous we gave up trying to estimate the number. I backhanded Vincent Hearthward for insubordination, during the last days of his apprenticeship."

Sergeant Varnell drew her sword and looked at it in the light. "And I received this sword during those days. So when I say that the odds are not impossible, remember that I'm the only abyss-touched opinion that should matter to you."

Adrian nodded, and said, "aye, ma'am." The others did the same a moment later.

"So here's our plan. I'm going to have a chat with this crafter. If I think he can't be talked down, I'll slip the phrase 'dark day' into my conversation. If that happens, Adrian will screen to the right, and get within Salamander range. Farah will approach from the left, and get nine yards away. Any closer and he might notice the Coldstone in your sword."

Varnell grimaced and added "once you're in position, Adrian, empty a Salamander at him. It should hold his attention long enough for Farah to put her sword into him."

"Into the Crafter, Respelli, and leave the sword inside. More than a few shadows have died because they forgot that last part," Varnell said. "Everyone else will wait here. Once the Crafter goes down, get over to us immediately. We'll need the help with the rest of the soldiers."

"And if the Crafter doesn't go down?" Elliot asked.

"Then drop your weapons, and run for the next wall. I wouldn't advise depending on Cavilla's mercy," Varnell said, as she re-sheathed her sword.

"Oh, in case you were wondering, you were outnumbered four to one in that last fight. And you nearly got me killed by breaking their resolve so quickly," Varnell said.

She then crouched down next to Caitlin and asked "your friends are outnumbered, even if we stop that crafter. Your aim will save lives. Are you still with us?"

Caitlin replied by vomiting again and crying.

"I see," Varnell said, softly. She looked angry, but the hand resting on Caitlin's shoulder was gentle, and Varnell's eyes were full of tears.

"Remember, 'dark days'," Varnell said, just before she climbed up, and started walking towards the enemy.

"Go now, Keates," Farah said, squeezing his shoulder. For added emphasis, she leaned forward and kissed his cheek.

It felt like sunlight on his face.

Farah turned away and ran down the trench, dropping her ammo pouch on the ground before she left. Adrian turned away after watching her for a moment and began to look for a part of the field he could crawl through without being seen.