Exit Interview

Hi!

So firstly, thank you for making your way through what is chronologically the first Tale of the Everburning City. At least for the moment. After I finish Bitter Cold Truth, I might do a novel about the Fifth Invasion, and get through the stories about characters like Varnell and Redgrave in the detail they deserve.

But if you're willing, I was hoping to bug you for some feedback about how I'm doing so far. After all, Burning Night is only a first draft, and The Dragon Chase is a second draft. These are definitely works I would like to improve on.

If you have an answer, an in-line comment at the appropriate question would be superb.

So, if you're willing:

1. What were your impressions of the plot in Burning Night? Did it make sense? Was it fairly easy to believe? Did any of it catch you by surprise?

2. I had a rather fierce debate at the end of the story with myself, over the fate of Natalina Casper. I was tempted to have Benden kill her in the end, but ended up sparing her in favour of having her betray her career. How did you feel about her fate in the story? Did it suit the tone and the circumstances?

3. What were your favourite parts? Any scenes stick with you after you read them?

4. There were a number of subplots I ended up trying to cram together into this single story. Mathias becoming Tabitha's shadow, Gerald's apprenticeship, Benden becoming Lord Captain, Valen Redgrave being a sergeant during the next story and so on. It's a lot to happen in just a few weeks. Did it work okay, or did any of it feel tacked-on?

5. For those of you who have also read The Dragon Chase, where were you hoping I'll go next? After Bitter Cold Truth, I'm debating either writing about the Fifth, or weaving together the tale of the first explorers to ever leave the Everburning City. Any preference?

6. Asides from a few folks being moderately fond of Gerald, any favourite characters?

7. Overall, how do you think I'm doing? I'd like to keep doing this, and the experience so far has been superbly educational, but that's only one opinion, and a heavily biased one.

8. Any idea for a reader appreciation special? I liked our last one, but I'm afraid my imagination is a tad taxed. If anyone had any other ideas, please share them.

And once again, thank you. It's been a privilege so far.