Chapter Thirty-Two - Ethan

Chloe went to the training room first. She was sure that most of the Red Guard would be there, but she only found about eight of them. "Where is everyone?" she asked Gerty, who was shooting at a target with a cross bow.

Gerty startled and looked at Chloe. "I think they went to a movie or something," she said glumly. "There wasn't a target for tonight... and with the uncertainty, I think most of them wanted to get away for a while. I decided to wait here for Jessica. I don't want her to think nobody cared when she gets back."

Chloe put a hand on Gerty's shoulder in sympathy. Gerty was looking at the ground, but Chloe looked at her softly anyways, "Gerty, I don't think Jessica is coming back. She went to see the Pope and I think he knows something is going on. When she didn't spill, I think he had her staked." 

Gerty glared at Chloe for a few moments and Chloe wondered if she had just made a huge mistake. But then Gerty whispered, "That vampire bastard is going to pay. She was always loyal to him. Always. He's going to pay for this."

Chloe nodded her head slowly with some relief. "We need to get all of the Red Guards back here as soon as we can," she whispered urgently. "The vampires are coming. They need to be invited in so that we can implement our plan. How can we get them all back?"

Gerty's eyes went wide and she smiled after a few moments. "We are only missing half," she whispered back. "And I'm pretty sure we know where they've gone. Let's just go and get them. It's eight thirty..."

"We have two hours to get everything ready," interrupted Chloe.

Gerty's eyes went wide with mild panic. "Then let's go," she said. They gathered the other seven Red Guards and told them quickly what they needed to do. They all headed out, in pairs as usual. Chloe decided to wait at the gates just in case the vampires arrived early. She didn't want them to misunderstand the Red Guard absence and leave.

She watched the eight run off and walked aimlessly around the streets surrounding Vatican City. Her mind was racing through all of the details that needed to be addressed when the Guards arrived.

"You're brave, being out here by yourself," said a voice in the shadows.

She turned to search for the source of the voice. "Yeah, maybe," she replied hesitantly when she didn't see anyone.

"Derek tells me of your plan," came the voice again, "I think it just might work."

"And who are you, then?" she asked, although she knew this must be Ethan, the vampire who had helped Derek through his transition.

"You ask, yet you know. I imagine he has spoken of me to you. You seem smart; I can see why he loves you so recklessly," said the voice. Chloe's heart skipped a beat. Recklessly? She wondered. What had he done that was so reckless? "When it comes to you, he acts without thinking of the consequences. He was not supposed to meet with you that first night. When you found each other he told me. Meeting with you that night was expressly forbidden. Though, I will admit that in this particular situation, things seem to have worked out rather well."

"Where is he?" Chloe asked.

"He'll be here shortly. I came to check things out before I bring my people here. I don't need to be walking into a trap," he replied.

"If there's a trap, it's not one set by me," replied Chloe. She frowned into the shadows, not liking that Ethan was staying in them. She'd much prefer to meet him face to face before they both put their lives on the line tonight. "Feel like coming into the light?" she asked.

There was silence from the shadows now as the vampire clearly contemplated his next move. Revealing his identity was a risk, Chloe knew, and showing his face committed him to the events that were to come tonight, for better or for worse. Chloe owned him once she knew what he looked like, much like he owned her now that he had seen her face. "Fair is fair, after all," she muttered.

She heard him grunt where he was as if accepting the truth of this comment and he stepped confidently towards her. She took him in and she tried not to drool. She cleared her throat and blinked slowly to stop his face from burning into her retinas. Then she looked back at him and she noticed a slow grin spread across his face exposing his perfect, white teeth. If Quinn looked like a dark god, then this man looked like the god of light. He had short-cropped golden hair with darker streaks throughout and the bluest eyes she had ever seen. His face was chiseled with the most attractive angles and small features. Even his ears looked perfect. She frowned at him, and he had the audacity to chuckle.

"Well," she cleared her throat again, "I'll certainly be able to identify you if I need to later," she said with a laugh.

He laughed along with her. "I've been told as much. I try to stay hidden, since people tend to remember me," he said. I'm sure they do, Chloe thought. "Your plan sounds good, by the way. The beginning of it, anyway. We will be able to contain the Swiss Guard and then we will be at your side as you take out the rest. The cardinals and the Pope must be very old. Be aware. They will be strong with their age," he said with some concern.

"Thank you for the warning," said Chloe. "I'm glad you will be there as back up not long after thing start."

"Derek didn't seem to know what happens by the time we reach the end of the evening," he said with a question in his eyes.

"We know who we are going to put in place," started Chloe. "But after that, nothing is certain. I think the terms of the previous agreement need to be renegotiated."

"Does the replacement Pope know about these arrangements?" Ethan questioned.

Chloe felt a bubble of hysteria rising in her throat. They had intended to interview the cardinal secretly, but with everything having happened with Jessica, the plan had stuttered and that step had been overlooked. She pushed the hysteria down and looked calmly at Ethan. "No," she replied evenly.

"Good thinking," said Ethan to her surprise, "The fewer who know, the better. If you made the right choice in the next Pope, it wouldn't matter if he knew before hand or not."

Chloe shrugged a shoulder, "I guess we will see then." She looked at her watch. "When are the rest of your people getting here?" she asked.

"They are close by. I will go and get them now," he said as he started to walk away. "See you shortly, Ms. Desjardins."

Chloe shuddered as she thought about the Pope, who was the only other person who had called her by that name since her college days.

As he walked away, she heard the approach of a few people. She was happy to see her friends arriving with Gerty. She embraced Felicity in a brief hug and then Quinn. She threw Sigur and Johnny smiles since they were a bit further away. "I'm so glad to see you guys," she said.

"Gerty filled us in on the way here," said Quinn, "You've been busy!"

"Things seem to be coming together, if we can only get everyone here," said Chloe. There were now seven Red Guards here. They waited nervously for the rest to arrive, pacing and not saying too much. Some small talk, but nothing very meaningful.

Slowly, the rest of the Red Guards trickled in, but they were all present by nine thirty. Chloe gathered them around and started, "We need to finish it all tonight. The Pope is on to us... I think the disappearance of Jessica proves it. We need to invite the vampires into Vatican City so that they can play their role in the take over." Chloe filled them in on the finer details of the plan. There were nods and grunts of approved around the circle as she spoke. "They will be here momentarily. There are fifty of them and they know their roles tonight. We each need to invite about three vampires in. Are you ready?"

The Red Guards murmured to each other positively. They were ready for this night. They were ready to knock the Pope out of his place of power.

"It's getting late. What time are they supposed to be here?" asked Sigur.

"Oh, we are here," came Ethan's voice from the shadows. The vampire group started to come out from behind the bushes and Chloe took a deep breath as she started to implement the next phase of her plan.