Chapter Three: The First Meeting

Chapter 3: The First Meeting

I walk into the building about a week after Hannah officially left. I try not to look at anybody as I plan to go straight to the marriage counsellor. I feel as if everyone is judging me. Even though my marriage is over, the counsellor said she would still be able to help me. I thought it was a tad unusual but she explained to me that she used to be a therapist and I agreed to allow her to continue helping me.

I walk by the elevator going to take the stairs but stop hearing a familiar sound, laughing. I know that laugh, Hannah. I take a step back and see her standing there, and she's with a man. I feel a pang of jealousy but watch as he shakes her hand and leaves. Oh good, they aren't together. There wasn't another man that caused the separation.

"Hannah!" her name has left my lips before I even recognized what had happened.

"Louis?" she walks over to me. "Hey," she holds out the word, sounding confused. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm seeing Jamie," she quirks a brow. "She's helping me through the grieving process of moving on."

"I see," she nods her head slowly. "How's Isabella?"

"She wants to know when you're getting back from your 'trip.'"

"Thanks for covering for me, but eventually you're going to have to tell her the truth."

"Why don't you tell her, Hannah? You're the one that left us. You made that decision all on your own to walk out. You didn't think about how she would feel or how I would feel. Even worse, maybe you did think about it, but you just didn't care. She needs her mom. If I tell her, 'Mommy walked out on us and gave up,' I don't quite think you're winning brownie points with her." My words come rushing out like venom from a snake. "I want you to see her, but I don't want you making this harder for her. You chose to leave."

"I understand that, I do. That's why I left that up to you. I want you to do what's best for her and you. If that means not seeing my daughter, I accept that," she bites her lip anxiously, fidgeting with her fingers and a piece of paper.

"You're anxious, have you been taking your anxiety meds?" My eyes soften slightly; I have to fight myself not to grab her hands to comfort her. This is what she chose, she doesn't want my support anymore. Maybe I never helped her at all, and she finally realized that. Maybe this was my fault. Either way, that's still my wife whom I love with my all. She's struggling; that's easy to see. 

"That's why I'm here. You remember when I told you about Bob, my therapist, right?," she flashes her prescription paper at me. "He was telling me a story about how he accidentally took a sleeping pill instead of a vitamin in the morning. He must have taken the vitamin the night before, switched them up. He ended up face planting into a bowl of cereal at breakfast."

I laugh softly, "That is pretty funny."

"Can I see Bella?" she shifts on her feet.

"I think that can be arranged." She throws her arms around me and hugs me tightly. It takes me by surprise, but I am able to hug her back. It's only been a week, yet I've missed her so much. I've longed for this moment to hold her in my arms again, just like this.

"I'm sorry," she pulls back, "I didn't mean to-

I cut her off, "It's okay, I understand. You're welcome. You can pick her up from school in about an hour. It will be a nice surprise." Her eyes go big, "You're going to have to tell her when you take her back to Christy's. She's not going to understand why you're not taking her home, please don't lie to her. She's had enough lies with between the two of us. She doesn't need more."

She nods, "I'll try my best to explain that we aren't going to be living in the same house anymore and that we still love her just as much as we did before. When I said that I would help you with anything, I will. I don't know how you want to do this, but when you decide, I'm more than willing. I don't want to be one of those families that has to fight for custody. My sister had to do that with her daughter and I don't want to deal with that again."

"I'm not signing the divorce papers," I blurt.

"Why not? I signed them and left them in the office, they're just waiting for your signature."

"I know, but as much as I want to move on, you said there could be a chance for us in the future. I don't want to jump the gun and sign them when there is a chance that we could get back together."

"Louis..."

"I don't think I'll find some one else for me, Hannah. You're the one I want. Until you find your other half, I'm still going to have a small bit of hope that we can work it all out. If you start dating, I'll sign the papers, but for now, I think I'll hold off." She looks down and nods. I kiss her cheek, "Good luck, Hannah," and start on my way to Jamie's office.

Author's Note: Sorry it's really short! There are plenty more chapters to make up for them being short! Keep reading, commenting, and voting! Thank you lovies xx