第19Q

In the remaining two games where Yasu was able to join her team, Kagami was benched due to his injuries and Kuroko experienced a sudden slump. Not even the shadow of the passes that had saved Seirin so many times before could be seen. Even if they gave everything they had, not every challenger could become a winner. Seirin lost to Meisei and Seishinkan, and thus came to an end of their journey to Inter-High. However, all was not lost, for one had to go through a loss to understand a gain. Without looking back or regretting, Seirin was on to a new challenge that awaited for them.

It was nighttime. Wearing a hoodie and a pair of track bottoms, Yasu stood in the center of an outdoor basketball court, spinning a basketball on her fingertip. Her gaze was focused on the hoop when she felt another presence joined her, thought she didn't budge from her spot. "You called, Riko-senpai?" she asked.

The said girl nodded and stood closer to her. "Yasu-chan, I know it sounds selfish of me, especially when I'm the coach." she began. "I won't ask for more, and I don't expect you to do the same thing for next year. But will you lend me your strength? You have more experience in the basketball world than I do, and I need your guidance."

It was silent between the two girls as the night wind blew through until Yasu moved her finger, sending the ball through the hoop. "What are you saying?" she asked, turning around to face her with a smile. "Riko-senpai, I am willing to help the team regardless of anything."

The elder girl blinked at her. "That means you'll...?"

Yasu walked over to her bag sitting on the bench and rummaged through it before taking out a green file. "It took me a while to prepare these, as I'm getting rusty when it comes to this." she joked. "But if it makes you happy that I become your assistant, I'd be willing to."

Riko took the file from her and stood under the lamp post, flipping open the file to go through its contents before smiling. "Now I see why you carried the ace title for three consecutive years." she remarked. "I can also see why you spent your third-year of middle school in America being the anonymous strategist of a team taking part in the FIBA World Championship."

~Time skip~

It was the day of the first practice after Seirin had returned from the championship league. Excluding Kagami due to the doctor's advice of a full fortnight rest, everyone gathered in front of the coach. "Why don't we try three times?" chirped Riko with a closed-eye smile, giving the boys a huge thumbs-up.

"Th-Three times?!" they cried.

"We just finished playing a game!" complained Koganei with tears cascading from his eyes.

"We'll die!" added Izuki.

"What's that?" asked Riko innocently before raising four fingers. "Four?"

That immediately got the boys to stop complaining and start their practice. "Alright, practice!" yelled Izuki while stretching his arms.

"Let's give it our best!" added Hyuga.

"Yeah!" shouted the rest.

While the boys warmed up, Riko glanced back at the stage to see Yasu sitting with her legs folded under supporting a laptop placed on a cushion, scrolling through some data or other essential information that could contribute to the team. The second year smiled, thinking, 'Looks like the gears are grinding in Yasu-chan!'

~Time skip~

"Gather 'round, everyone!" ordered Hyuga after a practice session. Once they'd gathered around, he noticed someone was missing from the group, besides Kagami. "Where's Kuroko Is he skipping practice?"