Epilogue

It's Saturday's morning, June 18, 1969

It's Saturday's morning, June 18, 1969. I went to go visit Johnny at the cemetery. I always go every other weekend since 1965 and I'm wearing my favorite jean jacket.

"Hey Johnny." I like talking to him about what's been going on, I know he's listening. "Well, I officially graduated. Top in my class. The gang is so proud. Even Cherry and Marica and Randy came to the graduation ceremony."

Couple weeks after the hearing, Cherry and I started hanging out at school. Some people were weirded out to see a greasy chick and a Socy cheerleader as friends, but we didn't care. All of her friends stop hanging out with her because of me, expect Marica. The three of us became best friends. After a while, Randy started hanging out with us. Him and Marcia were on a break after what happen, but they talked it out and fixed their relationship. They were two years older than me, so they graduated before I did. We are still in contact with each other and they come and visit me when they have the chance.

"Remember I told you that I don't know what I'm gonna do after I graduated. I know, now. I going to the local college and take some English and Creative Writing class to become a writer. I start this fall."  I smiled as I felt tears coming down my face. I don't care if I cry a lot anymore, it just how I expressed my feelings. "I really wish you were, both you and Dally. Some days, I think about what would happen if you both were alive. Maybe things would be different. I often have dreams about it. I know that would never happen, but I also know that it was worth it to save those kids. I still get "Thank You" letters from their parents. I think that Dally finally understand why it's worth it. He probably slapped you behind your head, before he did."

I heard some footsteps behind me. I turn my head and saw the gang.

"I knew we would find you here," Darry said.

Darry and I have been getting along after the day we agreed to stop fighting. I talk to him about everything, especially about sunsets. One day, the Curtis family watched a sunset and Darry told me every details about it. It turns out that we were a like after all. After the graduation ceremony, Darry and Soda gave me some money. They said that they save a few dollars after every paycheck for three years. I can either buy myself something special or still save it up.

"Why are you guys here?"

"It's been a while since we been here," said Soda. "Might as well visit."

Then Two-Bit said, "You know what's trippin' me out? It's this line between the two years. That's their whole life. Everything that happened is in that line."

It's true. People pass by these grave and never knew what happen between the time they were born and died. They never knew they were greasers. They never knew how Johnny risked his life for others. They never knew how Dally blew up when Johnny died. But I was there, I saw it all.

After a while, we all decided to leave and go back to the house. Darry and Soda went in Two-Bit's car. I was with one person in his car. The same person who was holding my hand at the cemetery. Steve.

Steve and I became official two years ago. Before that, we were also getting along when I started to hang out with him and Soda more. Sometimes, Steve would asked me if I wanted hang out with him and Soda or just him. During the summer of '67, the gang and I took a trip to the country. I told them how peaceful Windrixville was and we all agree to go out for the summer. We found this nice area next to a clear lake. We had a fun time swimming and fishing, and we ended our day with a bonfire. I couldn't sleep, so I snuck out of the tent and looked up at the stars. It was cold night and I forgot to bring my blanket with me. I was about to go get it until Steve came out and wrapped me with his blanket. We sat there in silent staring at stars, then Steve spoke, "I never realized how big and bright the stars were."

"Yeah, it's hard to see the stars back at home."

"Don't kill Soda, but he told me about how you digs sunsets. After he told me, I watched a sunset and noticed that everything has beauty, but not everyone see it."

"What is everything to you?"

"Sunsets, cars...you."

I was speechless. I did nothing but blushed. When I turned to Steve, he starred into my eyes. We both leaned in and kissed each other. The next morning, we told the gang about us. Darry was surprisingly happy for us, but told Steve if he hurt me, Darry will hurt him. Soda and Two-Bit betted on us. Two-Bit lost another five bucks. Now, I visit Steve at the gas station or he visit me at school during lunchtime. He surprised me with a trip to the beach as my graduation present.

"You okay, Ponygal?" His voice broke my train of thought.

"Yeah. I'm good." We stopped at Tasty Freeze to get a couple of cokes. I was sitting on his hood when he handed me a coke.

"Did you tell Johnny about us?"

"Of course, I did."

"Do you think he would be mad at me or you?"

"No. He understand that I need to move on. Johnny was and always will be my first love, but I lost him terribly. Now, I love you, Steve," this is my first time telling him, "and you are going nowhere."

He laughed with a smile. "I love you, Ponygal." We gave each other a passionate kiss.

"Ready?"

"Let's go home."