Alterative Ending

(This pick up after the rumble)

The cop left us at the hospital as Dally pretended to help me out of the car. The minute the cop was gone; Dally let go of me so quick I almost fell. "Hurry!"

We ran through the lobby and crowded past people into the elevator. Several people yelled at us, I think because we were pretty racked-up looking, but Dally had nothing on his mind except Johnny, and I was too mixed up to know anything but that I had to follow Dally. When we finally got to Johnny's room, it was empty. Oh no, I thought. He's already dead. I couldn't help it, I start bawling on the floor. Dally punched the wall, then the nurse came. "Clam down. Johnny's in surgery."

"Why? What's going on?" I asked.

"I don't know any details, but you can wait in the waiting room till the doctor is done with the surgery."

Dally and I waited for an hour and half at the hospital, still no news. The rest of the gang showed up. I called earlier Darry where I was and what's going on. Another hour past, the gang were half asleep. Dally and I couldn't sleep. Finally, the doctor came out and walk toward us. Dally and I waken up the guys.

"Johnny..." here it comes, "...will be okay." We all sighed with relief. The doctor continued, "After he pasted out, I called my friend from New York and he believed he had a cure. He came down as fast as he could and we started the surgery. We were worried if he would lose a great amount of blood, until we have a generous donor."

"Who?"

"Me." We all turned to found Johnny's mom standing there.

"You, why?"

"Looked. I know my husband and I are horrible people, but I do care for my son. Maybe not as much as you guys are, his friends." I cannot believe what she's saying. "You're Ponygal, right? Johnny's girlfriend?" I nodded. "This is for Johnny. Can you please give this to him?" I grabbed it out of her hand. It's a letter.

She headed for the door till I spoke, "Thank you." She nodded and left.

"Listen Doc," Darry asked him some questions, "how long will he be in the coma? Will he be able to walk again?"

"He will be awake less than 24 hours. I will have the ability to walk again, but he might take two - three months to recover."

"Thank you so much"

"You are very welcome. Now, go home and rest. You can come back tomorrow at noon."

Once he left, we all gather up and had a big group hug.

THE NEXT DAY, me and Dally and Two-Bit went back to the hospital while Darry, Soda, and Steve had to work. The nurse told us to go ahead to Johnny's room and that he should be awake any minute. He sitting up on the hospital bed. He still looks burned, but much better than yesterday. In the room, I sat on the chair in the right, Two-bit on the left, and Dally leaned up against the window. I slid my hand under his, then he opened his eyes.

"Ponygal."

"Oh my god," I cried. I stood up and move his hair out of his eyes. "You're okay, Johnny. Everything gonna be okay."

"I was hoping you said that," Johnny slowly laughed.

"Hey Johnnycake," Dally said.

"Hey buddy," said Two-bit.

"Dally. Two-bit. How are you, guys?"

"We're fine, but how are you feeling?" Two-Bit asked.

"I'm great, actually. Still can't move my body yet, but I'm happy to be alive and be with you guys. How was the rumble?"