Chapter 30

Astrid's P.O.V.

I nodded my head to the beat of Carrie Underwood's Last Name as I took notes from the board. I pause as I see something that doesn't seem quite right. Screw him. I raise my hand before the teacher nods to me. "Hiccup's trying to pass me a note," I say and the teacher comes over before snatching it from my desk and opening it. She then leans on his desk as she reads it with raised eye brows.

"Hiccup, even I know that she can't be won over by poetry," she says, turning her head to look at him.

"Please do not read that aloud," Hiccup says, casually, before the teacher rolls her eyes and throws it in the trash.

"Don't let it happen again or I will," she warns and Hiccup nods before going back to his notes. I was mentally puking my guts out. 

As my music turns to Undo It, I realize that Carrie's taught me that all guys are the same and that made me glad that we're all getting new seats tomorrow. Sick of sitting next to Hiccup. It'd been a month since I tried to freeze myself. I'm still waiting for my friends from Outcast to come and "surprise" me. They said it would be a week just to make me paranoid, the jerks. Everything was almost back to normal between me and Hiccup, only he was trying to get me to hang out more. I don't know what his deal is. I reached into my pocket and thumbed my key. Why haven't I gone back to my apartment? I have a consistent flow of money, I can pay for the rent now, Hiccup's dad is paying to keep it for me. Why don't I go back? It's not like Hiccup's making me stay in every night. He's not forcing me to let him drive me everywhere. He wasn't doing anything. The bell rings and I collect my things before going to my locker, where I get cornered by Heather.

"Hey, Astrid, wanna come to my house tonight for a slumber party?" she asks.

"Uh...that's the party that has multiple girls right?" I ask and she nods.

"Yup! Ruffs coming too," she says. 

"I don't really think I'd be much fun," I say as I grab some more books and put them in my bag.

"You kinda said that at the homecoming dance and you were little over 'life of the party'," she says.

"I find that when I go crazy like that, time goes by faster. I didn't think it was right for them to hold it during the school day so I tried to speed it up so I could go home," I say, at the borderline of rude. 

"Please....?" she begs, "It won't be a slumber party without you there!"

"Aren't there other girls you can invite?" I ask.

"Why are you trying so hard to avoid it? Busy?" she asks.

"If I say yes will you go away?" I ask.

"Nope," she says.

"Look, I've never been to one, I'd have no idea what to do," I say.

"We'll tell you!" she exclaims.

"Well, I'm expecting guests tomorrow so I'd have to leave like really early in the morning because I have no idea what time they'll get here," I tell her.

"Fine," she sighs after a pause. I nod before going to class. Well, that's the only thing I've been able to weasel my way out of this whole month. I get half way down the hall before spinning around and walking the other way. I forgot that it was lunch... Don't judge!

After school

"Hiccup, I'm gonna be late coming home, alright?" I say to said boy before everyone around us wolf-whistles, making us roll our eyes.

"Okay. How come?" he asks.

"I just have some stuff I need to do," I say as I walk out of the building.

"Have fun at work!" he calls after me.

"Okay!" I call over my shoulder. 

To be honest, I wasn't going to work. I called in sick this morning because I had to do stuff and couldn't wait until I get off at 8. I flip my hood up and stuff my hands in my pockets as I slipped down the street. I couldn't believe she got time off for good behavior. It was high time I give her a piece of my mind. The police called me to warn me and I could not have thanked them more. Although, they warned me to stay away from her, I'm walking right into her clutches. The world seemed to move in slow motion as I walked, my music blaring in my ears as I glared through my eye brows. If she gets caught with a drink in her hand, she's back in the slammer. The bar came into view and I pause, looking at it in disgust. It was the only bar in town. An hour seems to pass as I gaze at the building. The sun was starting to set before I finally took a step forward and crossed the street. I walked into the bar and looked around, noticing she wasn't here yet, before going to the counter.

"Hit me up with a Shirley Temple," I order the bartender, slapping the counter with my open hand before flicking my hood down. He looks at me suspiciously.

"May I see some ID?" he asks, earning him an irritated glare from my dead eyes.

"Virgin," I growl after a pause and he nods before blending the ice. 

For today, I had drained all emotion from my face, eyes, and mind...just in preparation for the next few hours. I gag as the DJ starts playing Selfie. That song just makes me wonder how self-conscious someone could be. "Wait, pause"...ugh. I thank the bartender, as he brings my drink, in Spanish before bringing the straw to my lips. Then they start playing Worth It and I can't stop nodding my head. I spin around on my bar chair and watch the people on the dance floor. Suddenly, my gaze darts to a familiar figure, shaking her hips as she "danced". What made it even more slutty was the fact that she was dancing up on a random guy that was closer to my age than her own. I take my phone out and click on her contact. I put it to my ear and watch her as she answers it.

"What do you want, *****?" her voice asks through my end.

"Is that the most appropriate thing to do in front of your daughter?"