32 장

That morning, I texted Jongsuk as soon as I woke up, like i did every day. I never got out og bed until I saw his return message pop up on my screen.

MORNING, SU. HAVE A GOOD DAY.

With that, I pushed back the blanket, getting to my feet, and went to take a shower, dropping my phone onto the speaker just outside the bathroom on my way. I didn't listen to AOA that day, even though it was my go-to rise and shine music. Instead, it was news, just headlines, none of which I remembered after toweling myself off.

Once dressed, I grabbed my backpack and headed downstairs, where Eomma was still in her PJs watching SBS News, her favorite news show. For two hours each day, she'd keep up a commentary show. Everyone had something, I guess, and Eomma's was a morning news program.

"Sowon is just too thin these days," she said to me, as I popped bread in the toaster, checking the clock. "I know she's going through that divorce, but she needs to take care of herself."

I glanced at the TV, where Kim Sowon, in a a beige dress, was talking. She looked fine to me. "What do you and Wooyoung have going on today?"

"Just preparing for Krystal Jung's rehearsal dinner, and the wedding tomorrow," she replied. During the school year, I only worked on the weekends, so I was less up to date on the various events we'd planned. This one, though, I remembered, if only for the unqiue name.

"This is the one with the crystals around the venue?" I asked.

She sighed, closing her eyes. On the TV, Choi Youngjae, the weatherman, was now pointing at a weather map. "It's a handful to order crystals last minute, and I can't believe you're bringing it up when I'm clearly stressing."

"Sorry," I said, holding in a laugh. It wasn't easy for her to be stressed about crystals, but Krystal really wanted them for both her rehearsal dinner and wedding. Besides the crystals, there is going to be special-ordered BBQ and ribs to remind her of her American heritage. Eomma had been complaining about it for weeks. The only upside was that the wedding itself was traditional as the dinner was not: big church, big guest list, really big money. If Eomma had a price for dealing with thousands of crystals, they'd clearly met it.

Eomma then took a sip of her coffee, nodding at the TV. "Look at BamBam. He's had so much Botox he can't even look concerned for those poor people on that wreck ferris wheel."

My toast popped up and i grabbed it, taking another look at the screen. This time, I could see your point. BamBam had never met a cosmetic procedure he didn't like, and HD kept no secrets. "I got to go. I told Gayeon I'd meet her early to study for that French quiz."

"Be sure to eat that toast," she called as I walked to the door. "I've got enough worries with Krystal."

In the car, I ate half as I headed out of our neighborhood, then turned onto the main road to school. At the first stoplight, my phone beeped. It was Gayeon, driving the twins and Jae to school, like she do every day.

LUNCHBOX FAIL. BE THERE ASAP. FLAGPOLE?

I glanced at the light, still red, then quickly replied a thumbs-up. As traffic starting moving again, I heard my ringtone.

"Bonjour jolie fille," Jongsuk said when I picked up. "Êtes-vous prêt pour le test?"

"I think the fact that I have no idea what you're saying does mean I'm not going to do well for this quiz," I replied.

"I asked if you were ready for the test," he laughed. "Also I called you beautiful girl."

"Well, that's nice." I smiled. "And the answer is clearly no."