46 장

Eomma wasn't one to apologize unless the situation truly warranted it. In the last three minutes, by my count, she'd told me she was sorry at least five times.

"It's just," she continued, as I moved quickly around my room, finding my shoes and keys, "once you've promised skateboard entertainers, you can't really back out."

"It's fine," I told her again. "Just tell me where they are."

"On highway 55 off ramp. They say you can't miss them, as they're -"

"Skateboarders," I finished for her. "Got it. On my way."

"I'm so sorry!" she said again. "If you can just get them here, that's all we need. Give Mark my apologies."

"I'm not meeting him until 7:30," I said, checking the clock just to be safe. It was 6:15. "I'll see you soon. I'll be the one with the carful of skateboarders."

"Thank you."

Ten minutes later, I was pulling up behind broken-down brown bus where six men in jumpsuits and various of equipments waiting around. I unlocked my doors, they jumped in, and we headed to the Amber Liu reception, which was slated to begin in mere minutes at the N Estate across town. When we pulled up in front, Wooyoung was waiting.

"Oh, thank goodness," he said, as they all exit, grabbing their bags of gear. "All right, everyone, follow this path here around the patio area and wait for further instructions. We'll need you to greet guests momentarily."

The skateboarders took off, adjusting their outfits. "But if you really mean it, feel free to stick around. I've got a whole group of performing dogs that need to behave during the passed appetizers."

"Dogs? I thought you guys were joking about Vivi."

"Oh, that's not Vivi," he said. "This is a professional dog theme your mom had come in from Seoul. You should seeing the dancing ones."

"Wow," I said. Couple of cars turned into the N Estate lot, driving slowly, obviously looking for spaces. "Looks like you have some early birds."

They probably didn't wait until the vows were done," he grumbled, as one parked, a couple in a dress clothes climbing out. "I'll never understand people who are that desperate to get to a reception. Do they not get out much?"

I smiled, having heard this many times before, as another car drove past us, finding a spot. Despite my time away, I could still feel it, that slow simmer of excitement/dread that always hit in the moments an event began. You just never knew how the night would go.

Wooyoung's phone beeped. "Your mom is reporting surly bartenders," he reported, after looking at the screen. "I guess it's time for my patented attitude adjustment."

"I'll pray for them," I told him, as he fixed his tie.

"You just get out of here," he replied, giving me a quick kiss on the check. "Save yourself."

"Will do."

As he disappeared down the path, though, I stayed where I was, watching as a few more guest arrived. Around the building, I could see tables set up with white cloths and flower arrangements that even from a distance I could tell had come from Kimmy's. I wondered if Sehun had gone to get them, maybe with Vivi, and if Mrs. Kimmy had asked about me. They'd get used to my absence soon enough, though, and probably Sehun's as well. Summer was almost over. After Julee's wedding, he had his own life to get back to. Wherever that would be.

"Excuse me," I heard someone say from behind me, "but is this the way to the N Estate event?"

I turned, facing an older man in a suit. "Yes. It's around back."