Prologue

Alexis Taylor stood in the garage that was attached to the backyard of her house, her head shoved into the engine of a car she was working on whilst her overall were tied around her waist. Her brother Dom came up to the door but she was to in her own world to hear him enter the garage, the older man knocked loudly on the garage door making her jump and hit her head on the hood above her. "Ow." She muttered to herself before turning around.

"Hey Tink, come on foods almost ready." He told his younger sister nodding his head towards the large picnic table they had in the backyard.

"Ok. I'll be out in a minute." She told him before stripping off her overalls together and throwing her cardigan back on. Walking out a bright smile came to her face seeing all her friends and family sat together talking and laughing, like her brother Lexi was big on family and would do anything to help them and protect them. She always followed the say what her father had taught her from a young age. "family don't end in blood, but it doesn't start there either. Family cares about you, not what you can do for them. Family's there through the good, bad, all of it. They got your back even when it hurts."

moving over to the steaming grill she grabbed her sister in laws arm and brought her away so they could all sit and eat together. The first person to reach for the food was one of hers and her brother's friend Malachai or better known as Kai, he placed his food on his plate before realising that everybody was watching.

"What?" he questioned as he licked the juice off of his fingers.

Both Dom and Lexi pointed in his direction and spoke at the same time. "Kai, you know the rules, since you were the first to reach in and grab some chicken, you have to say grace?"

Before they pointed at each other and shouted. "jinx." Laughing at each other before all the people around them joined in.

"Have at it, Kai." Frank Taylor, Lexi uncle, told him.

"Father." Kai started. "Thank you for the gathering of friends, Father we give thanks for all the choices we've made because that's what makes us who we are, let us forever cherish the loved ones we've lost along the way, and most of all thank you for fast cars." The man finished with a bright smile showing he was proud of himself, this earing a laugh from everybody and pat on the shoulder for Dom and a kiss on his check from his wife, Mia.

Just as Alexis was about to take a bit of her food a phone in the house started to ring, huffing a sigh. "I'll get it." She told them as she pushed herself up and climbed up the stairs into the house through the backdoor.

Seeing that it was actually her phone that was ringing she pressed the answer button and held it against her ear. "Hello?" she spoke leaning against the counter top.

The sound of a panicked voice filled the blonde-haired woman's ear, the voice of her best friend from when she was in medical school. "Lex, I need your help." Tara Knowles told her.