CHAPTER ONE

Chapter One

The second hand of the clock jerks with each tick in an odd, click-spaz movement.

“...and this is the closest the world has come to a full-scale nuclear war. If it weren’t for the cool heads of President Kennedy and the Soviet Union Premier Khrushchev, the United States, and the rest of the world for that matter, would surely have been bombed with nuclear weapons.” Mr. Archer drones on about the Cuban Missile Crisis.

My pen hovers over the open notebook on my desk, but the only marks filling the page are elaborate scrolls and doodles.

I started doing that after my accident.

My seat in the back corner of the room gives me perfect vantage of the windows that overlook the student parking lot. Storm clouds gather in the distance, but the dull ache in my thigh has predicted rain all day. If I hurry, I can probably make it home before the sky breaks loose. Otherwise I’ll be forced to take the bus.

My gaze drifts to the clock again. Twenty-eight seconds later than the last time I checked. With a slow sigh, I lower my head and freeze as a boy’s eyes lock with mine. My breath sticks in my throat.

I snap my eyes down to my desk. Why is Evan Whittaker looking at me?

My heart kick-starts into a gallop. My fingers reach up to my cheek to rub off some unseen smudge. The only reason one of the most popular guys in school would be staring at me is if something is wrong.

My shoulders tense as I lift my head to peer in his direction. He slumps over his desk, his pencil moving over his paper. I take a deep breath and allow my muscles to unknot just before his head raises. His neck twists to look back, his eyes holding mine again. Black hair, as dark as ink, falls over his ears and brushes the top of his collar. Heat rises to my cheeks, but I refuse to look away. I’m waiting for a look of contempt, instead finding curiosity and a hint of desperation. 

The bell rings and shakes me from my stupor. The low murmur of voices fills the room as people rise from their seats with the same relief I feel. I reach down and grab my backpack, stuffing my notebook and pen inside. The room clears out as I stand and I’m relieved to see that Evan has left.

“Julia, can I speak with you a moment?” Mr. Archer calls as I make my way to the door.

I stop, hitching the backpack strap over my shoulder, and turn to face him. He stands behind his chair and taps a pencil on top of the desk. His button-down plaid shirt stretches across his protruding belly. Matched with his silver hair and usual smile, he bears a slight resemblance to Santa Claus.

“It’s about your grade.” His gray eyebrows raise as his smile falls away.

I shift my weight while casting a glance out the window. Students scatter along the sidewalk, hurrying to the buses and their cars. The clouds are darker, and lightning flashes in the distance.

“Julia, you’re getting a D in this class. I know AP U.S. History can be difficult for a junior, but I checked your record. Up until this year, you were a straight-A student.”

I lift my chin and sigh. I know what’s coming.

“I’ve talked to some of your teachers. I know you’re not doing well in your other classes. I want you to speak to Mrs. Hernandez.”

I nod, avoiding his gaze. “Thanks, Mr. Archer. I’ll check with her tomorrow.” I have no intention of talking with the school counselor but know it will appease him for a week or so. I turn to leave.

“Julia, I know it must be hard…” Mr. Archer’s voice softens. “But they say time heals all wounds.”

I glance over my shoulder with a half smile. “Yeah, thanks.”