CHAPTER EIGHT

Chapter Eight

Mom gives me a bone-crushing hug when I get home, then plasters on an artificial smile and pretends as though nothing has happened. As though our family hasn’t been ripped to shreds.

Anna shoots a glare from behind Mom’s back, then ignores me most of the evening, as though I don’t exist.

I can live with this. I already do.

We fake our way through dinner, with Mom’s forced happy banter, until the tension becomes so thick I can no longer choke down my pasty macaroni and cheese. I escape to the sanctuary of my room under the guise of homework, and even though I really do have intentions of doing it, I’m distracted. The image of my father walking out the door keeps popping into my head, making the pasta in my gut feel like a ten-pound weight.

Evan calls and texts numerous times throughout the evening, until I turn off my phone, holding firm in my resolve to ignore him.

After a couple hours of studying with little progress to show for it, I give up and climb into bed. I toss and turn before falling into a troubled, dreamless sleep.

In the morning, Mom’s in the kitchen pouring a cup of coffee. She makes an attempt to smile, but the dark circles under her swollen eyes give her away.

I can’t stand seeing her this way and pull her into a hug. “I’m sorry.” I whisper in her ear.

She leans back and cups my cheek. “It’s not your fault. Do you hear me?” Her eyes probe mine, demanding an answer.

My throat burns, but I choke out, “Yes.”

“It’s not your fault,” she murmurs and squeezes me tighter.

I dread going to school. The thought of facing Sarah makes me nauseated, but the thought of seeing Evan makes me lightheaded. I’m not sure I have the strength to stay away from him.

It’s easy to avoid him all morning, until I turn the corner to English Lit. Evan and Sarah stand several feet from the classroom door, Sarah clinging tighter than usual. My pulse speeds up and I freeze, several bodies slamming into me from behind. I stumble forward, then hide behind a group of people next to the lockers as I watch Evan.

He frowns, glaring at the top of Sarah’s head as she scans the hall. I know who she’s looking for. She spots me and her eyes narrow with laser focus. She tugs on Evan’s arm, wrapping it around her waist, then flashes a triumphant smile.

The blood rushes from my face.

I don’t want him, so why am I upset?

I hide around the corner. Evan pushes Sarah’s arm away and scans the crowd with an anxious look. He walks away as the tardy bells rings, but I wait until Sarah goes into the class before going in. An eerie silence fills the hall.

Even though my impromptu hide-and-seek makes me late to English Lit, Mrs. Jacobs doesn’t seem to notice. Sarah turns her head sideways to watch me slide in my seat. The way her eyes follow my every move reminds me of a predator tracking its prey. A cold chill shoots up my back. Seeing Evan has set me on edge, and Sarah’s hatred nearly topples me over it.

When the dismissal bell rings, the class gathers their books and bags to leave. Sarah hangs back with Lindsey as though she’s waiting for me.

“Julia, can you stay behind for a moment?” Mrs. Jacobs calls to me on my way out.

“Sure.”

Sarah curls her lips into a sneer, then she and Lindsey leave.

Mrs. Jacobs leans against her desk. “I’ve noticed you’re participating in class.”